Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Does This Work (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-does-work-t261034.html)

shy 02-09-2015 02:52 PM

How Does This Work

I watched a video of Missouri Quilt Company..the video was how to make ..The Big Star Quilt...I try one of the stars just because it didn't makes sense to me..Thought if I did it ..I would see something I just wasn't computing..the block is 25 inch when done u work with 10 inch squares of material..it all works until...u use 6 1/2 corner squares...the 10 inch is cut just once to get 2 triangle for the edges..then sew to another just like it..that is the middle of the last row..u them sew on the 6 1/2 square at each end of this piece..when u do this there is no way that fits right..so if u line the top to be sew to the row above..this leave about 1/2. Inch after u have your star all together .u trim it up to match the corner squares..make it square..u lose your points on the star..I try a few things ..but no way that Ican see can u save your points with the 6 1/2 piece..u are only taking away 1/4 of an inch on the joining seam to that square from the bigger block.and the bigger block has only one seam of 1/4inch where it join the triangle 2 pieces..taking only1/2 inch out of the middle of the block..bring the block size to 9 1/2..with only 3 sides sew at 1/4 seam...As I said..I made one to see..so I either have a real mental block on this..or I really screw up somewhere..HELP. HELP ..PLEASE..Thank u..

PaperPrincess 02-09-2015 02:57 PM

Here is a tutorial from this board for this quilt:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...o-t208940.html

Jan in VA 02-09-2015 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaps you are applying your corner triangle along the incorrect edge, easy to do.

Jan in VA

Ariannaquilts 02-09-2015 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this quilt when the tutorial first came out on You Tube and I had no problem with it. I am not quite understanding what the issue you are having is. I followed along with Jenny although I don't like the way she makes the hst you find out it's almost easier to just do it her way because I think that the bias winds up helping you rather than hindering you. I am going to attempt to post a picture of the quilt, is this the one that your talking about?

shy 02-10-2015 06:39 AM

Yes that is the one...I know I am just having some kind of mental block on this because ..I have made many star quilts of different patterns..This one has just throw me off for some reason..I not sure what I am doing wrong..I also did it while watching the video..the only place ..I am having this problem is center 2 on each edge of each side when adding the corner square..then those pieces stick out about half inch too much..really hard to explain..as I said..I know I am just missing some simple thing..it is just maddening and makes a person feel pretty dumb..knowing it is just some small thing..thanks..

shy 02-10-2015 06:44 AM

Thanks Jan..but that isn't the part that isn't sinking in my head for some reason..hard to explain..as I said I know it is just some small thing ..I am doing wrong..I have made star patterns many times..just reall bugs me ..I can't get pass it..I guess I well try again with different tools ..maybe something is wrong there..but I doubt it..it is just some block in my head..again thanks for trying to help..

QuiltnNan 02-10-2015 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7084606)
Perhaps you are applying your corner triangle along the incorrect edge, easy to do.

Jan in VA

jan, you make the best drawings! thanks for your help

fabricholic 02-10-2015 08:50 AM

Jan your drawing are exceptional!

shy 02-11-2015 06:08 AM

I figure it out yesterday..as I said it was just a mental block..as in I was messing up..lol...I finally just put it out of my mind..and when ..I went back ..it was clear what I did..measure wrong....and yes Jan u do make good drawings..thanks ..for trying to help all of u..

Cheryl7758 02-11-2015 06:20 AM

Just a suggestion - she says to measure your HST made from the 10" squares and make the corner pieces that size. Maybe your HST units are not the 6 1/2", thus your corner pieces are too large/small which ever the case maybe.

HTH