Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to estimate fabric required (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-estimate-fabric-required-t255819.html)

sandyfullmer 10-25-2014 08:10 AM

How to estimate fabric required

Is there a rule of thumb, or a chart that helps one estimate the amount of fabric needed for different sizes of quilts? I know it cannot be exact since every quilt pattern requires a different number of seams. But a way to get a good estimate would be nice when someone asks to have a quilt made and they want a price idea. Any help will be appreciated.

PaperPrincess 10-25-2014 08:40 AM

I would be hesitant to estimate yardage, especially providing a swag estimate for a potential client. They won't remember much except if the actual yardage is more than the guestimate, they will remember the lower number you told them!
I have made full quilts that needed 13 yards and some that needed 6. That's a big difference. In addition to the number of seams, some folks are assuming a 4" drop all the way around, and some are thinking 14", so even the size is a moving target.

ckcowl 10-25-2014 10:48 AM

Every pattern is different and requires different amounts, a queen sized quilt can take anywhere from 6 yards of fabric up to 20+ yards depending on the pattern, then you need another 9 maybe for backing, .... When someone asks me ( what do you charge to make a queen sized quilt?) My general response is - ' they start at about $500 and go up from there, what did you have in mind?' If they seriously are interested in getting a quilt they ask more questions, discuss what they were thinking of, or, they sniff & walk away. Without knowing what pattern, design, size a person wants it is not possible to give an estimate

tessagin 10-25-2014 11:19 AM

I have given amounts similar and they may say, I can go to ?? and get one for this amount. Well then what are you waiting on? China will appreciate your business! Most often though I just tell them I don't take orders. I only make them on my time and dime.

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6942941)
Every pattern is different and requires different amounts, a queen sized quilt can take anywhere from 6 yards of fabric up to 20+ yards depending on the pattern, then you need another 9 maybe for backing, .... When someone asks me ( what do you charge to make a queen sized quilt?) My general response is - ' they start at about $500 and go up from there, what did you have in mind?' If they seriously are interested in getting a quilt they ask more questions, discuss what they were thinking of, or, they sniff & walk away. Without knowing what pattern, design, size a person wants it is not possible to give an estimate

crafty pat 10-25-2014 11:24 AM

I would have to have a pattern in mind before trying to estimate the amount of fabric to buy. I is not good to start a quilt and find you do not have enough fabric. When I find fabric I love and don't have a pattern in mind I buy three to five yards of each.

lfty298 10-25-2014 02:40 PM

Hi Sandy
For a simple guesstimate, check the quilt kits at Connecting Threads. You can search their site with keywords such as ‘baby quilt kit,’ ‘queen quilt kit,’ etc. You’ll get an idea of size, yardage requirements, and pattern prices (if you need one). The info they provide is very straight forward, and you will also see how much backing fabric and batting you will need. Add binding (½ yd?), needles, thread, marking whatever, rotary blade and stencil. Tougher to figure, but a real expense is electricity and use and wear of your equipment. Now for the totally impossible to figure out is time - I am slow and cranky when under pressure so there is no middle ground for me - either a trip to Provence or I agree to work for 50 cents/hr - kind of forces me into lifetime amateur status. Good Luck with this - it is certainly doable - but expect a learning curve on the business side of quilting.
Lefty in Philly

ManiacQuilter2 10-25-2014 03:42 PM

The amount of fabric required varies by pattern. Your hours of piecing and quilting will vary between simple pattens and more complicated one.

Stashelf 10-25-2014 03:45 PM

There's an app for that. RK quilting calc It's free from robert kaufman

bigsister63 10-26-2014 05:51 AM

As a guestimate for total top fabric- I use the backing amount and then add 2 yds. If you are buying different fabrics then I get 4 yrd of the main fabric for the border and inside top ad 1 yd for each other fabric except if there is a lot of back ground fabric the 2-3 yds of the background fabric.

Wow I Like That 10-26-2014 06:17 AM

If you have a smart phone there are lots of different apps out there that can easily do your calculations. The one I use most often is the Quilt Calc but Robert Kaufman. Just search the app store/play store for the title. It is free.