Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to evaluate a used sit-down machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-evaluate-used-sit-down-machine-t308546.html)

bobdavisnpf 12-10-2019 10:22 PM

How to evaluate a used sit-down machine

Hi all,

Sorry for making my first post such a newbie question, but I'd like some advice on how to evaluate a used machine. It's a Bernina Q20 in the Koala table, in "like-new" condition, "only used a handful of times".

Should I ask for the serial number, to check on age, warranty status, or service history?

Are there accessories, upgrades, supplies I should be on the lookout for?

We'll get to run some fabric under the needle; I know how the demo feels in the store when it's running perfect, and a little bit when it's a little off, but of course they're quick to shut it down when it's not in "close-the-sale" condition.

I can look for stats like stitch count, not sure what else to check.

We've been looking, trying out, and renting time on various machines for a year or so; we've narrowed the choice down to be Bernina Q20 in table - so we don't need to worry about whether we're getting the right machine for us - just, whether we're getting a good machine.

Cheers,
Bob

QuiltnNan 12-11-2019 03:30 AM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)
Sorry, I don't have much experience with sit downs

liking quilting 12-11-2019 03:42 AM

I do not have experience with that machine, but Bernina has a good reputation.
When I bought my used mid-arm machine w/hydraulic lift table, I also knew it had been very lightly used. Big plus! She decided a long arm was what she would rather have. I had the benefit of trying a Sweet 16 midarm machine at the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo in the Twin Cities, so I knew I would like it.
Hope you are able to get it and enjoy it as much as I have my machine! Happy quilting!

Tartan 12-11-2019 03:53 AM

The Q20 is a fairly new machine. I would check if it is still under warranty and if the warranty is transferable. Can you check with who they purchased it from? Having a shop for support or service is a plus. I think the Q20 has a table it comes with, is the Koala table a good fit or would you be happier with the other table?

mkc 12-11-2019 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8338857)
The Q20 is a fairly new machine. I would check if it is still under warranty and if the warranty is transferable.

And don't just take their word for it, get it in writing if they say Bernina will honor the remaining warranty to anyone other than the original purchaser. Most domestics, including Bernina, do Not have a transferable warranty. Read the fine print.

bobdavisnpf 12-11-2019 11:16 AM

Thanks! I’ll ask for serial number and local shop, will contact them to check history and warranty status. I’ll also ask Bernina and our local shop about extended warranty and Re-certify service, to see if that’s a thing:)

Jingle 12-11-2019 03:51 PM

I just want to welcome you to this board. Lots of knowledgeable people here always willing to help.

toverly 12-12-2019 04:22 AM

Some great deals can be purchased in used machines. I would buy only if you trust the seller. Test it out for a long time at their house. Several hours not just a few minutes. Yes, you probably will lose the warranty or any classes that Bernina gives. So it's wise to double check. I know of several perfectly good machines that were purchased and barely used. Unfortunately, the sellers now really just want their money back not just the money owed to get out of the loan. There is no advantage to purchasing used if it's only a few hundred less than new.

happystitchermm 12-12-2019 05:11 AM

I have a q20 and love mine. I did buy it new but check to see if they have a warranty.

mkc 12-12-2019 05:24 AM

Just wanted to add some thoughts regarding testing a sit-down.

If you can, take several different thickness quilt sandwiches to see how easy and repeatably you can set the foot height.

Try different weight threads and different needle sizes to see how "fussy" about thread it is.

If it comes with a bobbin winder, wind the bobbins for each thread using it, then stitch with them for a while (or stitch, then remove a bunch of thread from the bobbin and go back to stitching) to see how evenly they were wound.

Run the stitching at various speeds. Can you "outrun" the machine (especially the stitch regulator) and end up with bad stitching? IIRC, the Bernina uses domestic needles, not longarm needles. These are thinner and may deflect more if you're moving the quilt fast. Does this happen when you are stitching at your maximum comfortable speed?

Speaking of which, since the Q20 has a built-in regulator, try stitching with and without. Make changes in direction, tight curves, stitch at random speeds. How well does the stitch regulator perform? How well can you quilt without it turned on?

Take a bed-size quilt sandwich (or finished quilt). Quilt (or pretend to quilt) across the whole thing, pushing the bulk of the quilt around on the table, up into the throat, back and forth, left and right. Does it move easily or drag or catch where it would cause problems/frustration?

Are they including a chair/stool or will you need to get your own? How is the visibility when sitting in the intended chair/stool? Can you achieve/maintain a comfortable position and see your work clearly? Do you have to hunch to see what you're doing? Is it fatiguing at all? Ergonomics are very important when you're going to be doing a task for hours and hours, even with stretching breaks.

How loud is the machine? As you are stitching, particularly with the regulator on so the speed is always changing, does the change in sound bother you at all?

I'm sure others will chime in.