Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to find a good LA quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-find-good-la-quilter-t228086.html)

Stitch124 08-16-2013 09:01 AM

How to find a good LA quilter?

I am starting on my first large quilted bedspread for my bedroom. It's very intricate and would like to have it professionally quilted -- How do I go about finding a good LA quilter...that doesn't charge and arm and a leg?

Peckish 08-16-2013 09:09 AM

Get referrals from your LQS and fellow quilters. Ask at your guild, and if you can actually see quilts that the LAer has quilted, that would be a bonus.

Lori S 08-16-2013 12:45 PM

Ask to see samples of their work. I found mine here on this board . I send mine via mail . I have never been disappointed in the work. There are some amazing long arm pro's here on this board.. a plus.. is they post photos here.

tessagin 08-16-2013 01:00 PM

Also ask how long it will take such as how many are ahead of you. Let them know when you need it.

dunster 08-16-2013 01:18 PM

Longarmers charge different rates in different parts of the country. If someone is doing the work as a business, they naturally need to charge for the time and materials it takes to do the job (including longarm purchase and maintenance). Most longarmers have different rates according to the complexity of the work. Pantographs or all-overs with a simple, less dense pattern are less expensive, while custom work that may involve more dense quilting, ruler work, more thread changes, more attention to detail, naturally costs more. It's very important that you communicate with the longarmer as to your budget and the type of quilting you want and are willing to pay for before the job begins. What I'm trying to say is that something that you may think costs an arm and a leg may in reality just be a reflection of the amount of work it took to make it. I know that one of my friends has written checks in the $400 range for custom quilting, and yes that's for a single quilt, but with the amount of time and money she puts into the piecing and applique, she feels that the value the custom quilting adds is worth it. It all depends on your budget and your quilt.

woody 08-16-2013 01:26 PM

Have you had a look here http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...s-t169702.html

Nammie to 7 08-16-2013 08:24 PM

Quilting makes or breaks the quilt!

Mitch's mom 08-17-2013 03:43 AM

You are putting all your time, effort, heart, and money into the quilt. When the time comes to pay someone to quilt it is not the time to become frugal. You get what you pay for - it is proven time and again when it comes to L.A. Quilting.

feline fanatic 08-17-2013 08:15 AM

A good LA quilter will work with you but you must have reasonable expectations. Most custom LA work starts at around .025 to .03 per square inch and that is a starting price. As Dunster said it varies from area to area in the country. It also varies for hand guided vs. computer guided quilting.

You say an arm and a leg and that is relative. If you are working with say a queen size quilt measuring say 85" wide by 100" long at .025 per s/i you are looking at a minimum of $200 plus for the quilting. Most e2e quilters start at around .01 to .015 per s/i.

Things that take more time and attention drive the price up, like any amount of ruler work for stitch in the ditch, thread color changes, dense background fills etc. Award winning quilters charge a premium because they can (like Karen McTavish, Sharon Schambers, etc). If you find a bargain basement LAQ that will do custom it could be they are a beginner. Nothing wrong with that as long as they fully disclose that fact and you can see samples of their work.

What you need to decide on is a budget. Then search the board and internet for pictures of longarm quilting. When you see something you like reach out to the quilter and ask what can they do for your price range.