Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to fix seam on finished quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-fix-seam-finished-quilt-t218441.html)

annesthreads 04-07-2013 12:30 AM

how to fix seam on finished quilt?

1 Attachment(s)
I've just finished a quilt - and have discovered that a seam's come adrift on one of the blocks, exposing the batting underneath. Would be grateful fo advice on how to fix this. Thankyou!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]406558[/ATTACH]

carolaug 04-07-2013 12:58 AM

Can use use Seam a seam and then use a label with your name/year etc...or a poem? or applique a kitty or something on top of it?

ckcowl 04-07-2013 01:01 AM

carefully turn under a small seam allowance (to fold the raw edge inside) you can put a small piece of fusable inside to help hold it- then using small stitches carefully stitch it closed. if you don't mind it showing on the back you could use a tiny zigzag on the machine to stitch it closed- if you don't want it to show on the back then hand stitching is necessary. basting glue or tiny pins could also be used to hold it while you stitch.

earthwalker 04-07-2013 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5983343)
carefully turn under a small seam allowance (to fold the raw edge inside) you can put a small piece of fusable inside to help hold it- then using small stitches carefully stitch it closed. if you don't mind it showing on the back you could use a tiny zigzag on the machine to stitch it closed- if you don't want it to show on the back then hand stitching is necessary. basting glue or tiny pins could also be used to hold it while you stitch.

Excellent advice...let us know how you get on.

QM 04-07-2013 01:47 AM

Ckcowl's advice is good. another way to go is to applique something over that spot. You are certainly not the only one to whom this has happened.

alikat110 04-07-2013 04:00 AM

Perfect advice. Best of luck!

annesthreads 04-07-2013 04:04 AM

This is basically what I was thinking, but wasn't sure about the detail of how to do it - thankyou very much. This is a friendship star quilt with blocks made by an online group I was part of - which is why you can see writing on the block. I hadn't thought about machine stitching it, but I may do so: I don't think it would be very noticeable in the middle of all my stippling.

quiltinghere 04-07-2013 04:10 AM

Since you made the top, this should be an easy fix! I've done it many times on customers' tops. Some of the tops are older quilt tops that they want 'finished' and the current owners don't sew a stitch. The tops have been hand pieced many, many years ago and the seams are coming apart.

Luckily the quilting stitches did not go over the unfinished seam. Turn that seam under and stitch it with a tiny whip stitch just like you're appliqueing it down.
Good luck!

Nan

bunniequilter 04-07-2013 04:52 AM

If you have any of that fabric left I would tuck a small piece in to the gap and hand applique the seam down. The piece tucked into the gap would help "cover" the hole in case the edges dont meet when you applique. It does look a bit frayed and may not meet the other side.

crazythread 04-07-2013 05:48 AM

This has happened to me on several occasions. I use what they call in embroidery the ladder stitch. You bury your knot take a small stitch vertically close to the edge, than another one directly opposite and than another one back next to the first on (like a ladder ). after a few of these stitches, hold your thread and pull. The edges of your seams will pull under and make a nice neat closing. I learned this stitch from my neighbor who makes dolls for a hobby.
Hope you can understand this and it helps