Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to get the Smell out? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-get-smell-out-t119469.html)

sewnsewer2 04-29-2011 08:47 PM

Try arm & hammer with oxyclean.

madamekelly 04-29-2011 08:55 PM

I just went through this because of a visiting puppy and my all cotton bathroom rug. Add a cup of white vinegar, and 1 scoop of oxyclean, along with your regular detergent. Worked like a charm! No smell and no stain!

cabinfever 04-29-2011 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by colleen1978
I had a smell issue with mildew once and I put the fabric in the washer with lots of plain white vinegar...no more smell!

Mildew also doesn't like sunlight! If you have something left damp too long from a camping trip...try laying it out in the sun to dry first. I will try the vinegar as well next time.
Sorry, I have no pet odor experience to contribute otherwise; at least not when I had to be the one in charge of washing. I really appreciate everyone's experience here, as they all sound like great suggestions to try on any smelly fabric. How about any suggestions for a book bought from a smoker? Would you do something with baking soda or charcoal?

cabinfever 04-30-2011 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dakota Rose
...Either spay your fabric and then rinse or wash with water and lots of vinegar. It is also great for windows and general cleaning so I buy it by the gallon. One day the check our clerk at the grocery story asked me how many quarts of pickles I was going to make!!

Love vinegar for cleaning too. Pickles...MMM!

Grandma Cindy 04-30-2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
When this happened to me, regular washing in the washing machine wasn't enough. What did work was spraying the fabric with F.O.N. (Feline Odor Neutralizer), placing in a plastic bag for half a day, and then washing in the machine.

Where did you purchase that product?

vickimc 04-30-2011 09:52 AM

Sport-Wash it gets everything out. you can find it at Walmart or Ace hardware in the hunting dept. Hunters use it to get the smells out of their clothes before and after hunting. I know.... nothing worse that dear urine. A friend used it to get cigerette smoke out and it works. good luck
Vicki

k9dancer 04-30-2011 10:12 AM

[quote=cabinfever]

Originally Posted by colleen1978
..... How about any suggestions for a book bought from a smoker? Would you do something with baking soda or charcoal?

You could try putting a dryer sheet in the book.

ndgirl 04-30-2011 02:02 PM

I read a post online several years ago when my husband was still living and having "accidents" - it said that Suave green apple shampoo was good to remove urine odors. It works wonderfully!! I used it to clean the bathroom and sometimes left some in the sink filled with water as a deodorant. You might try that.

tjradj 04-30-2011 02:34 PM

One of the best industrial pet odour removers is basically extra strength vinegar.
I'd just toss them in the washing machine with extra detergent and a couple of colour catchers and then add vinegar to the rinse cycle.

Kas 04-30-2011 03:57 PM

Vinegar in the rinse. It is what I use on spots on the floor, as well. It really works.