Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to guesstimate yardage? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-guesstimate-yardage-t300815.html)

jillmc 11-10-2018 06:32 AM

How to guesstimate yardage?

3 Attachment(s)
I now have the Deb Tucker ruler that you recommended, and made a few practice blocks...after watching her video, I found it pretty easy to do. Thanks for the info!
I need to find background fabric online-no local quilt shops, and my vision limits my driving. I am notorious for not ordering enough fabric, and then scrambling to find more. I plan to use a white batik for the background ( the white row of blocks in the quilt are actually shades of tan/taupe). I don’t want to over buy...thinking 3 yards? And boy, white fabrics online are difficult!
Quilt will be 48x66 (diamond blocks are 3x6) before borders. The greens may be small Honu turtle appliqués.

bearisgray 11-10-2018 07:06 AM

You might consider drawing out the shapes you need (including seam allowances) on graph paper - and then count how many pieces you will need. Remember to allow for how you plan to lay out the pieces (grainlines). I would "assume" that a "yard of usable fabric" would equal approximately (36 x 40) square inches.

That's a bit tedious - but might work if you want to cut it close.

I would probably buy at least four yards. But- when I can - I would rather have a half yard left over than be two inches short. I also tend to make cutting errors or change my mind - so I sometimes have "waste". I also wash fabrics before cutting. Batiks usually have less shrinkage than other "quilting cottons" - but I am firmly entrenched in the "I want to wash the fabric before I cut it" camp.

I also usually cut so that the grainlines of the pieces will be perpendicular and parallel with the outside edges. Some people say grainlines do not matter when making a quilt - they do to me. That also tends to use more fabric than just laying out the pieces "however".

There will be more/other opinions.

Just a note/reminder - that the smaller the pieces - the more that gets "used up" in seam allowances.

Examples:

A "finished" 8 inch square is cut at 8.5 square inches.
72.25 - 64 = 8.25 inches of that square will be hidden in the back in a seam allowance.

11.4 % of the cut square will go into the seam allowances.

A "finished" 1 inch square will be cut at 1.5 inches

2.25 cut size (square inches) - 1 inch finished size = 1.25 square inches goes into the seam allowances and is om the back

So - the seam allowances take up more than 55 percent of the total cut square.

jillmc 11-10-2018 09:14 AM

Wow....thank you Bear! That’s a lot to ponder. I will probably order 4 yards....it will be a basic neutral color, and I will be able to use extra later. I am really trying to sew from my stash this year, but this project renewed my quilting pleasure! :)

IrishMom 11-10-2018 09:18 AM

I agree with Bears assessment....But i really wanted to say gorgeous fabric and design! I can't wait to see your quilt take shape, it's going to be awesome!

bearisgray 11-10-2018 10:10 AM

When DH and are "guesstimating" things -

He tends to figure skimpily (as in not allowing enough!!!!!! :hunf:)
and I tend to figure "generously" -

If we took an average of our two guesstimates, we would probably get it about right. (But I think i am more right than he is more of the time. ;))

So you might want to take that into consideration.

jillmc 11-10-2018 11:06 AM

Just had a lightbulb moment.... I have lots of white on white fabrics that are not batiks....time to shop my stash and maybe use several different whites! ��

dunster 11-10-2018 01:56 PM

I did a quick work-up in EQ, and it estimates that you will only need 2 yards of the light color. EQ estimates are usually on the high side. I like your idea of using several different WOW fabrics.

Rhonda K 11-10-2018 01:59 PM

Gorgeous fabric and design. If you can find a similar colored pattern with the same blocks sizes use that for yardage. I would use the same white fabric throughout the quilt. It is the one constant color to unite all the other fabric colors.

bearisgray 11-10-2018 03:21 PM

Will you be making the borders in white? or colors?

Jingle 11-10-2018 03:25 PM

If you cut fabrics Wof=Width of fabric 2 sides will be straight grain. Give a little tug if it doesn't stretch at all it will be straight grain. I cut all of my fabrics width of fabric. I have made about 400 quilts.