Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to hide an oops? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-hide-oops-t33845.html)

grammatjr 01-11-2010 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used fabric purchased out of town to make foundation pieced blocks. I didn’t notice until all was cut, and all but the last tiny bit was sewn – that I missed a corner! I didn’t have enough fabric to redo the piece.

I couldn’t find any matching fabric here in town, and couldn’t go out of town to get more. So, decided I would patch, but because it is batik, with a cloudy variety of shading across the fabric, I cannot completely hide the patch.

I had hoped that maybe the FMQ would seal the edge of the patch, and help disguise it. But, if I try that and it doesn’t work, I would have to rip out the FMQ to do the next option.

I thought of adding an appliqué to hide the patch. My DD (who I trust in all things fashion – style – etc, but who doesn’t quilt) thinks it will not be masculine enough for the soldier I am sending it to.

My thought was a cup of coffee and a “to do” list that shows the first thing on the day’s agenda is to pray for him. I am writing a long letter to him, and would explain that is how we start the day.

What other options do I have? What do you think about the appliqué?

Below is a sketch of the quilt. It really is made in different colors.

JJean 01-11-2010 10:56 AM

Wow! I'm glad you told me the story because I never would have guessed. You are a talented quilter. I love your quilt and think it's gorgeous!

tlrnhi 01-11-2010 11:18 AM

Can you point out the mistake? ;)
I think it's awesome!
And whoever receives it will be very appreciative of it.

watterstide 01-11-2010 11:29 AM

Can you show us a picture of it, so we can get a better idea of what you can maybe do? how big is the missing fabric? Are you sure none of us here doesn't have the piece you need,or close enough?
I have some batiks, not a collector, but do have a few...
would really love to help you! And it is a beautiful quilt, with a beautiful message!

Moonpi 01-11-2010 11:30 AM

Depending on the size, fabric markers come in so many colors now - a little camoflage can go a long ways!

amma 01-11-2010 11:32 AM

If you added the same patch in all of the blocks, could it become another design element?

watterstide 01-11-2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by amma
If you added the same patch in all of the blocks, could it become another design element?

Brilliant amma!

and i have used perm. markers to hide a flaw..hehehe

grammatjr 01-11-2010 11:40 AM

These are all great ideas. I should have asked earlier.

Unfortunately at this point I have finished the top, so would be hard to take some up on the offer of looking through their stash.

I will try to take a pic tonight of the real quilt, with close ups of the patch.

grammatjr 01-11-2010 11:41 AM

OH, and what do you think of applique for a guy soldier? Too feminine?

tlrnhi 01-11-2010 11:44 AM

I think it's perfect.
I don't see why they wouldn't like it.
Would remind them of home, maybe.
I asked my son in law (the Marine) and he says he likes it and the people in the desert are very appreciative of anything they get.
I say send it. If it goes to a guy and he doesn't like it, maybe he would trade with a female soldier or even bring it home for his mom/sister/wife.