Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How I Fixed My Big Mistake! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-i-fixed-my-big-mistake-t305305.html)

littlebitoheaven 06-18-2019 02:11 PM

How I Fixed My Big Mistake!

2 Attachment(s)
First of all, I really love this fabric and the patterns you may obtain from this quilt pattern. Having said that, I have to admit that everything that I could do wrong with this quilt, I did. My first problem came when I realized I had the wrong bias binding tool. This pattern Is from MSQC and it uses their binding tool. My binding tool was 1/8" shorter than it needed to be. After cutting several pieces, I realized my mistake and decided I had to cut more pieces a bit longer. So I did. When I came to the addition of the 1/2 square triangles, the cut size didn't fit. So to correct that, I cut larger 1/2 square triangles. I thought I had corrected my mistakes until I sewed my first 4 blocks (16") together and realized that the new 1/2 square triangles didn't match up with the squares! Sigh!!! I just ordered more fabric and plugged along. Well, I have the quilt sewn together and the first photo shows my mistake (one of them) and the second photo shows my fix for it. I made 1/2 inch bias tape and sewed it over the mistakes! Sigh!!! I only have one section done so far but it seems to look okay. I have 3 more sections to add bias tape too. Only time will tell what other issues I may run into before this quilt is finished. The backing I have for it is berber, which I love. We shall see how that goes. To be shown at a later date!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613967[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613968[/ATTACH]

Rhonda K 06-18-2019 02:23 PM

Oh dear! It's always an adventure when the pattern goes wrong. Glad you could find a fix and rescue your quilt. That is one of my favorite fabric collections. Always pretty. Continue on with your special design elements and we will keep your secrets. :)

That binding tool messes me up too. LOL!

nativetexan 06-18-2019 03:00 PM

actually is looks lovely. keep going. that really adds to the quilt! wonderful save.

Maggie_Sue 06-18-2019 03:26 PM

Like some say, a creative opportunity!!! Great quilt!!!

Iceblossom 06-18-2019 03:48 PM

Great save and love the fabrics, they are worth a bit of effort!

zozee 06-18-2019 04:00 PM

Oh, I feel your pain. I've had more than one project like that that seemed to abide by Murphy's Law. But your creative save is quite lovely.

Tartan 06-18-2019 05:54 PM

​Pretty design accent and it will be original!

JustAbitCrazy 06-18-2019 08:31 PM

I think your fix has made a beautiful improvement in the pattern. In the end I think you will consider that to have been a "happy mistake". Good job, great fix.

DJ 06-18-2019 08:38 PM

I think the bias tape is very additive. Your own design element!

Three Dog Night 06-19-2019 06:41 AM

Beautiful save. Only you will ever know there was a mistake.