Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to identify used sewing machine needles??????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-identify-used-sewing-machine-needles-t179000.html)

ewecansew 02-12-2012 05:08 PM

If you took a marker and coloured the area where the size is and wipe it off, would it make it easier to see the size? I know I can't see the size on needles even with a magnifier and reading glasses on. ( I guess i could get off the computer and see if it works).

Scissor Queen 02-12-2012 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you keep track of what you put in the machine in the first place you won't have to try and figure out what it is when you take it out.

I have a craft box from JoAnn's that's just the right size for needle packages. The orange button is for the Janome and the dark red button is for the Pfaff. I put the button in the compartment of the needle I take out and put in the machine. Any loose needle in a compartment has been used but is still good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311338[/ATTACH]

NanaCsews2 02-12-2012 09:32 PM

I too use the tomato and section off for sizes and uses. I use each 'section' for the use, as in jeans, sharps, embroidery, etc. Then I have drawn 3 horizontal lines to divide the sections into 4 or 5 parts, for the sizes.
I use this guide to tell me what kind of needle it is when I can't see the shank to read it. This is for needles I have used, and I use a plastic case similar to the one above to store the small cases of needles.
http://www.euronotions.com/pdf/Schmetz_Sales_Guide.pdf

BellaBoo 02-13-2012 12:31 AM

I toss it as soon as I take it out of the machine. I'll lose/misplace/forget to sort the thing anyway.

JENNR8R 02-13-2012 04:27 AM

I tape the used one to the needle case with blue painters tape. I always keep the needle case beside my machine until I change the needle. That way I know what's in the machine, and it's not hard to match the needle with the case.

nlpakk 02-13-2012 04:48 AM

How to identify used needles

I also use the tomato pin cushion with marked dividers. I also put a piece of masking tape on the front of the machine that says the size of the needle and another one if it is a ball point needle in case I forget to take it out when done sewing. The Schmetz(?) needles come in a box with a label so I keep all the new ones in their original box, and sometimes I do put the used ones back in their box. Will be waiting to see other suggestions. Why on earth haven't the manufacturers come up with a better system. I have a wonderful large magnifying glass but still can't read the size on the needle very well and often have to get my hubby to look at it for me.

retteacher 02-13-2012 05:27 AM

When i put a new needle in, I will use a sticky pad and write the number on it.and put it on the spool stick. If I need another size I will take the one in the machine and place in container marked with this size. And do the next needle the same way. I use several machines so cannot always remember what size needle is in the machine. It works great for me.

davis2se 02-13-2012 05:47 AM

Tape them to a 3 x 5 file card, sectioned off with a marker for each size needle you place on it. I hang the card on my tool board over my sewing machine right next to where I store my new needles.

psumom 02-13-2012 06:22 AM

I took a piece of white felt, made two columns showing all the needle brands, sizes and types, and when I finish with a needle, I "pin" it in the proper place. Then I fold the felt in half and keep it in a drawer. I also keep a post-it on my machine where I write which needle size, etc. is in the machine!!

GwynR 02-13-2012 06:40 AM

I feel your pain. so many times over the years i have mixed up my needles. i used to know the color code better, but i had only one machine back then and not so much money for needles. i will have to get out my magnifying glass this evening and see if that helps me to read whats on a needle. That sounds like a good idea, along with learning the colors again!