Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to increase 10in Pineapple quilt block to 12in using Creative Grid ruler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-increase-10in-pineapple-quilt-block-12in-using-creative-grid-ruler-t293846.html)

Whitney60 01-05-2018 01:25 PM

How to increase 10in Pineapple quilt block to 12in using Creative Grid ruler

Hello everyone,
I'm making a pineapple quilt block using the Pineapple Trim Tool ruler by Creative Grids.
My ruler is 10 inches, How do I increase my block to 12 inches? Sewing through the freeze in Michigan.

It's a bit more wasteful than I thought, but getting better cutting shorter pieces. Maybe paper piece next time.

Thank you.

Donna

Rhonda K 01-06-2018 05:32 AM

We don't know what pattern you are using so it's hard to help. What is the pattern and what size are you cutting strips? If you can post a picture of your blocks, others may be able to offer more options for you.

Measure the current block size and add another row or two until you get the desired size.

In other words, follow the current pattern and just add on the strips. Use a larger ruler to square up each row as you add them. You can add tape at the corners or seam lines to assist with trimming at the right line.

Or find a pattern with the 12 block and follow those steps to increase your current block size.

Have fun!

Onebyone 01-06-2018 06:25 AM

I have this ruler but haven't used it yet. It looks like you increase the length of the strips each round a set amount.

Whitney60 01-07-2018 01:16 PM

Increasing Pineapple quilt block 10 to 12 inches

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7977749)
I have this ruler but haven't used it yet. It looks like you increase the length of the strips each round a set amount.

Thank you for your input. I hopefully have a picture for you. As suggested, I just added strips (2.5in) and it worked fine. 12.5 inches. The instructions were for a 10 inch block adding the corners (rabbit ears) for 2.5 x 4 in. In the picture if it works the "ears" are short so will make the corners (ears) a bit bigger and will be fine.

The creative grid Pineapple Trim Tool worked well and once I understood the block there wasn't as much waste as I thought. Maybe paper piece is less wasteful.
Thank you all.
Donna.

Whitney60 01-07-2018 01:25 PM

Yea, the picture worked. This is a challenge block of the month for our guild. Our president instructs us to bring in a block that works "around". Ex: log cabin, pineapple etc. Last month was variations of a pinwheel. It's been fun to see what the members come up with. All my challenge blocks are in these colors. By the end of the year we have enough blocks to make a small throw for charity. Love this block. The darker blue maybe would look better as a "rabbit ear" It was a silly question now that I look back. I need to think out of the box. That's for looking.

feline fanatic 01-07-2018 01:32 PM

Oh your block turned out beautiful! I also have this ruler but like onebyone I haven't pulled it out to play with it. But I swear by Creative Grids rulers so I know I will use it and once I do I suspect I will be hooked on pineapple blocks. Good thing because I have yet to see a pineapple variation I don't like. :D

Rhonda K 01-08-2018 06:14 AM

Your colors are great! No silly questions so no worries. Those challenge blocks will make a pretty quilt and hopefully you are having fun!

Donnamarie 01-12-2018 08:28 AM

I don't have this ruler but a friend of mine does and she made the most spectacular colorful quilt with it. She said it does waste a little fabric but was worth using. Good luck.

Pennyhal 01-12-2018 11:29 AM

I paper pieced this block. Taking out the paper was time consuming, but not difficult. I liked the accuracy of paper piecing as it kept the corners crisp.