Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to keep DH away from your sewing tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-keep-dh-away-your-sewing-tools-t29076.html)

amma 11-21-2009 12:05 PM

I was just watching Fons and Porter on tv...as part of the tip segment, their guest showed the hammer that she used in her quilted purse making. The handle was covered with a tube of black and white fabric with embellishments hanging off of the top and bottom of the fabric tube!!! She said her husband would never again, pick up "her" hammer and take off with it LMBO

I was thinking if sewing scissors were embellished with fu fu items, screw drivers, etc.... would they disappear into the garage??? Or even be picked up by them? :roll:

To our male quilters.... I am sure that this does not apply to any of you 8) as you know the value of having these items kept CLEAN and handy in our sewing areas :wink:

MadQuilter 11-21-2009 12:22 PM

amma, that really works. My girlfriend has a pink set of tools and her ex refused to use them. I thought it was funny.

I guess there are a lot of "saving face" issues men have to contend with. I remember that Pat (who is one of the more enlightened of the species) had major trouble when I had to buy certain "girls only" articles. He would literally bury them in the bottom of the shopping cart. (Logic dictates that items on the bottom will be prominently placed at the top once finished) He pretended that he was not with me. Hysterical. Strangely enough, he loves to go to the LQS and fabric stores. He will hold the bolts and help me figure out colors.....Fickle creatures! (Wonder what they say about us.)

kwhite 11-21-2009 12:33 PM

When I was a teen I had a pair of jean shorts that I didn't want my brother to touch. I embroidered flowers and mice and frillies all over them and do you think that worked?? NO! he wore them anyway.

BellaBoo 11-21-2009 12:45 PM

DH always asks me if I have a certain tool he may need. He never goes in my sewing room without me being in there. My sewing room is like my purse to him, he would never go searching through my purse and will hold it with two fingers if he has to have it in his hands. :D :D

Tiffany 11-21-2009 01:54 PM

My DH asks for my tools as well, though in my case it is because my sewing room is a wreck and he's not sure where to find anything. Now to be fair, usually he comes to me asking for his stuff back. It's amazing how a hammer, painter's tape, electrical tape, and other "garage tools" work great for quilting projects! :lol:

sewjoyce 11-21-2009 02:03 PM

Hubby knows better than to use ANYTHING in my sewing room without asking!! :D :D Of course, that's not due to my training but from his mom. :D

LisaT 11-21-2009 04:15 PM

New here - this is actually my first post but I had to chime in...
Once my husband used my rotary cutter to trim plastic off of something. He ended up with a few stitches in his hand. I told him that's what he gets for unauthorized and inappropriate use of my rotary cutter!

sandpat 11-21-2009 04:19 PM

Hi and welcome LisaT...hope your DH has recovered by now and learned "the rules"

I can't accuse my DH of this...I'm usually the one walking off with all "his" tools and stuff....then I misplace them (of course) but, thats because I want to keep them... :wink:

amma 11-21-2009 04:37 PM

Frill them up and keep them as your own sandpat LMBO DH will not recognize them then!!! :wink: AND then he can go to the hardware store and replace them :D isn't that like us going to the LQS??? 8) 8) 8)

wesing 11-21-2009 04:39 PM

Pat -

Your DH secretly loves this. It gives him an excuse to go buy more tools. I guess I lose "man points" for divulging this classified information, unless you ladies can keep it to yourselves. :roll:

Darren