Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to keep photos flat when quilting around them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-keep-photos-flat-when-quilting-around-them-t75605.html)

hpylady 11-10-2010 05:19 PM

I have a question. I made 3 photo quilts, but when quilting around the pictures, they poke out like crazy. What do you do to keep the photos laying flat. You don't quilt on top of the photos do you? I tried that and that just didn"t work. Thanks for those who respond. :)

woody 11-10-2010 05:34 PM

I had the same trouble, I would be interested in any solutions,

Dawn Hendrix 11-10-2010 05:36 PM

I put a border on them .. quilted the borders.. left the picture alone.

BY the way HELLO from Wilson!

hpylady 11-10-2010 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dawn Hendrix
I put a border on them .. quilted the borders.. left the picture alone.

BY the way HELLO from Wilson!

I put a border around mine too and quilted the borders, still puffy.

I am actually between Pinetops and Wilson. My address is Elm City though. Hello neighbor!! :thumbup:

cosyquilter 11-10-2010 06:54 PM

I am just finishing a photo quilt. Isn't it the quilting that flattens the quilt out? So, by quilting around the photos they will be puffy. but that makes them pop, so I like that! IMHO, what do Iknow?

Annya 11-11-2010 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by hpylady
I have a question. I made 3 photo quilts, but when quilting around the pictures, they poke out like crazy. What do you do to keep the photos laying flat. You don't quilt on top of the photos do you? I tried that and that just didn't work. Thanks for those who respond. :)

When I do mine I put a little bit of fusible webbing underneath and then frame it. I have had not problems. Give it a go.Also how big are your photos, that too could be a problem.

ckcowl 11-11-2010 05:34 AM

what did you print the pictures on? i've made about 20 memory quilts for people and have not had this problem. so, wondering what they are printed on that is making them misbehave? i have on occassion used the printer fabric sheets but i usually just make my own, with PFD white fabric cut to printer paper size and pressed to freezer paper to go through the printer. no stiffness, and no puffing up where it shouldn't. maybe you could use a fusable to make them lie flat? or a lightweight non-woven interfacing. would like to see pics maybe that would help us help you find a remedy.

I have a question. I made 3 photo quilts, but when quilting around the pictures, they poke out like crazy. What do you do to keep the photos laying flat. You don't quilt on top of the photos do you? I tried that and that just didn"t work. Thanks for those who respond. :)

hpylady 11-12-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Annya

I have a question. I made 3 photo quilts, but when quilting around the pictures, they poke out like crazy. What do you do to keep the photos laying flat. You don't quilt on top of the photos do you? I tried that and that just didn't work. Thanks for those who respond. :)

When I do mine I put a little bit of fusible webbing underneath and then frame it. I have had not problems. Give it a go.Also how big are your photos, that too could be a problem.

Thank you for your reply. The photos are 5x7's. I first was stitching up to the photo. When I saw it puckering, I started stitching from the photo. Thought that would do it. But no luck. I am through with the quilts now, I just don't like the puckering photos. I will try your technique next time. Thanks!

quilter53 11-28-2015 10:19 AM

I would like to see this thread continued. I am needing help finding a quilt pattern for 8 photos. Would love to see photos of your finished quilts.
Fran

Tartan 11-28-2015 10:39 AM

I think you are talking about the puffiness like a large appliqué with no quilting? I don't know if any solution but to put a line of quilting in the picture. Kind of like I sometimes pick a line on a large appliqué to stitch on. The problem with stitching on the photo is I believe it might start peeling?