Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How long have you been a quilter...and what is your favorite block? or quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-have-you-been-quilter-what-your-favorite-block-quilt-t99830.html)

patchsamkim 02-14-2011 03:18 PM

I have been quilting 30 years plus...I love traditional quilt patterns...if I have to pick a favorite...I pick the weathervane block...but also love log cabin patterns. I also love to do machine applique...years ago did satin stitch, but now use the blanket stitch on my machine.

I do use patterns a lot because the math is already done, but do also know how to figure yardages for when I do design my own quilts.

When I have the time for it, quilting is so relaxing, and really makes me feel much less stressed than when I don't quilt.

What about you?

dakotamaid 02-14-2011 03:30 PM

I love quilting, my favorite part is the top. I like to shift thru all those fabrics and find the best ones to use for the pattern I've chosen. I think my favorite pattern is the Irish chain, double and triple. I've done several as gifts and charity quilts and they always get a good reception.

Jennifer22206 02-14-2011 03:34 PM

I've been quilting 11 years or so by now. I love all kinds of blocks, but if I had to pick a favorite, it's probably the Churn Dash - cute enough that I can whip up a baby quilt in a day, or fussy cut centers.. but I don't know for certain. Ask me tomorrow and my answer might be different!

quilter1943 02-14-2011 03:38 PM

I've been quilting off and on for about 30 years. I do some art quilts, but always go back to the old, traditional blocks. Love to work with half-square triangles. I know, I'm just a bit crazy for that!

Janetd 02-14-2011 03:41 PM

I've been quilting off and on for 20 years. Been doing traditional quilts but lately shifting interest to more modern fabrics & patterns.

SuziC 02-14-2011 04:05 PM

I have been at it now for about 20 years. Although i like most of the traditional block styles i prefer to make up my own designs. I am a self taught quilter and have never taken a class. Just read LOTS of instructional books. I love learning new techniques :lol:

ptquilts 02-14-2011 04:06 PM

Over 30 years, I would have to say Log Cabin is my favorite.

Scrap Happy 02-14-2011 04:10 PM

There are so many beautiful quilts and patterns. I guess whatever I'm working on is my favorite at the moment. Then I see people post their quilts here and have another new favorite :) My 1st attempts at quilting were in the late 70's with no quilter to show me the ropes so I plugged through. I hand pieced tops and didn't know how to quilt them. I'm self taught. I bought my 1st quilt magazine in 1984 and still have it :-P I didn't make my first machine pieced quilt until 1999! I enjoy hand quilting but it's been a while since I've hand quilted a quilt. I worked in a LQS that has since gone out of business and loved it. I had fun learning from the ladies I worked with. Like most quilters I've given away most of my quilts or made them for charity.

Annaquilts 02-14-2011 04:11 PM

I think I like the simple star a lot.

darlin121 02-14-2011 04:13 PM

I have been quilting for 32 years or thereabouts. My favorite block is the card trick.