Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to make a garden flag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-make-garden-flag-t194537.html)

mosher92 07-13-2012 03:08 PM

how to make a garden flag

I am attempting to make a flag, one that is the same on both sides. It is out of Rigstop fabric. Does anyone have ideas as to how to do this. I tried one way and I KNOW there has to be an easier way to achieve this.

Grace MooreLinker 07-13-2012 03:21 PM

I have never tried to make , will be interesting to find out how.

NanaCsews2 07-13-2012 03:34 PM

What I did is took my old faded store-bought one down and used that as a guide for measuring the size. I purchased ripstop fabric in different colors for the entire flag. My old bluebird flag was used as a pattern for making the applique birds and flowers. I sewed the pole opening seam on the background fabric. I lightly sprayed the appliques with temporary adhesive and placed them on the background. (My flag hangs down horizontally.) I then used a sharp 70/11 needle and using a wide satin stitch sewed slowly around the appliques. Mine isn't designed on both sides because I didn't need it. I have pine trees a few feet behind the wall that has the flag on. Can only see one side anyway.

QuiltE 07-13-2012 04:08 PM

There's a flag manufacturer near me, and I asked for some tips one day I was there. Bonus! we can help ourselves to the scrap bin .... and their scraps can be absolutely huge!!! :)

They mark the design on the front and back, then lay the matching pieces for the two sides on, and satin stitch all around. Be sure that you cut mirror images for anything that needs it. Sharp needle is required.

117becca 07-13-2012 05:06 PM

I wish they'd make them more resistant to the sun fading the flags! I could replace mine every year...too cheap, so it's every 2 or 3 years

mermaid 07-13-2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by mosher92 (Post 5362328)
I am attempting to make a flag, one that is the same on both sides. It is out of Rigstop fabric. Does anyone have ideas as to how to do this. I tried one way and I KNOW there has to be an easier way to achieve this.

I've made quite a few..this is how I do it. Put your hems in the body of the flag==pole hem on one end. Trace your designs you will use onto contrasting fabrics and rough cut. Now place the design pieces onto the body of the background ripstop nylon and sew around the outline with stitches approx 1.5. Trim the excess of the rough cut fairly close to the stitches. Then turn your flag over and grasp the flag fabric-lift- and cut a slit. Trim the flag base fabric from inside the stitched outline--again, close to the stitching. Then on either side of the flag (doesn't matter) work a wide satin stitch over the entire straight stitched line...if satin stitch doesn't cover well, go around again. This is simplified--you can now create your own pattern and even layer other colors on top of the first . Just remember to sew closely around the design pattern before trimming away the unwanted fabric from behind--and zig zaging your satin stitching. They are time consuming but you will have your own customized flag. Show us a pix of the one you make. I have done snowman, sewing machine, Easter bunny, many. But my favorite is the American flag that is red/white/blue stripesVertically with scattered silver stars randomly strewn. Good luck--hope this gets you started.