Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to make horizontal thread holder? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-make-horizontal-thread-holder-t248808.html)

bigsister63 06-21-2014 06:46 AM

how to make horizontal thread holder?

Does anyone know how to make homemade horizontal thread holder? I saw a Superpor thread holder on sale at Nancy's notions for $20 + shipping. does anyone have this and does it work? Aslo I saw plastic spindles that looke like they clamp on the verticle spindle. ARe these good and do you like them? Ideas? Opinions? Thanks!

the reason I am asling is that I recently learned that thread that is cross wound such as cone thread should be used on a horizontal holder instead of a verticle one to allow the thread to feed easier. On my Brothers1500 i only have verticle holders so that is what I use with my cone thread. I have a problem with the needle coming unthreaded when using the cutter but not when using C&C poly thread that is not cross wound. I think the problem may be that the cone thread needs to be feed horizontally not vertically. When the cone is feed uprite there is some pull on the thread as it comes unwound from the spool. This tension/pulling could cause bad stitches and needle to be come unthreaded since the thread will spring back after the thread is cut.

Tartan 06-21-2014 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use my old treadle for mending with inexpensive serger thread cone on it. I used an old cone that I drilled holes for the vertical thread spool to go through. I added a sticky Velcro patch on the outside of the cone with the holes to make the second cone fit tight on the first cone. I don't know if this will work on your machine but it works for me. Here is a picture.

ManiacQuilter2 06-21-2014 07:32 AM

I don't use thread that is made for a serger on my Bernina.

dunster 06-21-2014 08:15 AM

I use a thread holder like this one - http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...FYpefgodSKIAuQ

Many good threads come on cones, and not all serger thread is weak, but some serger threads are weak and those are the ones that may cause problems if used for quilting or piecing.

bigsister63 06-21-2014 08:19 AM

I am talking about a thread holder that holds thread horizontal (sideways) not verticle(up and down). I do not use serger thread but I use the cone thread from Connecting threads. I do not think they carry a horizontal holder.

bjchad 06-21-2014 08:35 AM

The thread holder that duster gave a link to will work like a horizontal in that the thread is coming off the top of the cone, which is the important thing for the cross wound thread. If you lay the cone horizontally the thread will feed off the top of the cone just as it does on that thread holder.

Onebyone 06-21-2014 09:01 AM

Most cones are cross-wound and are meant to unwind from bottom-to-top. If a cone is unwound from off the side, there is a lot of extra tension and drag, which increases the likelihood of breakage and bad stitches.

I use Connecting Threads Cones and they are all cross-wound. I use them vertical on a thread stand so the thread comes off the top. I have the Superior Thread stand and it is excellent.

SlightlyOffQuilter 06-21-2014 09:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a PQ1500 as well and this is the set up that I use depending on the type of wind on the thread.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479944[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479945[/ATTACH]

Maureen NJ 06-21-2014 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6767710)
Most cones are cross-wound and are meant to unwind from bottom-to-top. If a cone is unwound from off the side, there is a lot of extra tension and drag, which increases the likelihood of breakage and bad stitches.

I use Connecting Threads Cones and they are all cross-wound. I use them vertical on a thread stand so the thread comes off the top. I have the Superior Thread stand and it is excellent.

I use Superior cones and they also unwind with the thread coming off the top. I use their thread stand too and love it. It is heavily weighted which is helpful.

SewExtremeSeams 06-21-2014 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6767537)
I use my old treadle for mending with inexpensive serger thread cone on it. I used an old cone that I drilled holes for the vertical thread spool to go through. I added a sticky Velcro patch on the outside of the cone with the holes to make the second cone fit tight on the first cone. I don't know if this will work on your machine but it works for me. Here is a picture.

Tartan, that is just as clever as can be. :thumbup:

I also like your granny square under your thread holder.