Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to make a large quilt in a small space!!!! Quilt as you go??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-make-large-quilt-small-space-quilt-you-go-t168548.html)

IBQLTN 11-18-2011 04:56 PM

This takes me to a computer monitor for sale?

Originally Posted by damaquilts (Post 4692938)
This is also a problem for me. Not enough floor space and although I do have a bed I could use it would leave me in pain for days from bending over. I use my cutting table. I center the back and clamp using large binder clips
.... http://tinyurl.com/7pcfr82 ...... I spray baste and smooth down the batting and move the clips to to hold both back and batting.... then more spray and the top and again move the binder clips so its holding all 3 layers. After I pin that I slide the quilt , fold back layer by layer and spray and smooth and reclip and pin , I do this on all 4 sides that were hanging over the edge of the table. Before I had the binder clips and cutting table I used blue painters tape and the kitchen table. Hope this makes sense.

EmbQuilt 11-18-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN (Post 4695753)
This takes me to a computer monitor for sale?

Me too!! Don't need a new monitor lol

sueisallaboutquilts 11-18-2011 06:05 PM

Lisa, you got many good ideas from the others. I am certain that one of them will work for you.
Have fun! You sound excited and I love hearing it :)

Arleners 11-18-2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Crlyn (Post 4687245)
If it was me Lisa I would sandwich and quilt just the centre of a large quilt, and then do sections at a time. Which I have done quite sucessfully.

I've done the same thing with good results. I also am not crazy about all the sashing strips needed in the tradtional quilt as you go. I have made the center as large as 60" in the traditional method. Then I make the top, bottom and side panels, quilt them separately and add then with the strips.

Good luck!

hannajo 11-19-2011 09:51 AM

Thanks for starting this thread, quilt confused! And thanks to all the great advice y'all posted. I, too, have a small area, and not much table space. It looks as though there are lots of us.

SandyQuilter 11-21-2011 08:07 AM

I've written a book about this (now out of print). Don't do it one block at a time--joining is awful. Divide your quilt into strips. Batt and quilt them in a frame similar to a needlepoint frame. For example. your quilt is 5 blocks wide by 7 blocks long. Piece the top in 5 strips, each one block by 7. Cut out the batt to fit each long strip. Cut the backing about 1 inch larger on all sides. Baste all three layers together as in conventional assembly. I use a serpentine row of basting that is 2 inches apart for the first and last rows for about 12 inches and in the body of the strip the rows can be spaced 4 inches apart. Put it in the frame and quilt. When two strips are quilted, they can be joined. Lay wrong side up on a table. Fold the backing and backing out of the way and pin the top seam allowances together. Stitch together by hand (machine piecing would catch the batt). Once the top seam is pieced, butt the batt edges together and whip stitch the batt together. Don't overlay, but trim excess batt away. If you don't do this the batt may pull away from the seams if not outline quilted. The final step is to join the backing. Lay one side down (trimmed to about 1/3inch) and then lay the remaining side over it, turn under the seam allowance and pin in place. I reach under and feel the top where the seam allowance is that you just joined so that the backing seam is directly over it. Use a blind stitch of your choice to stitch the backing in place. Go into the batt with the needle, but be careful that the top is not caught. Keep adding strips until the entire quilt is made. I've made king size quilts this way and have taught this method for 20 plus years. From the top the quilts look identical to any other top assembly, the only difference is that on the back you have a seam where each strip is joined. Just as strong, only a few more backing seams. Good luck--go for it! By the ways my book was titled Quilt-As-You-Go.
SandyQuilter

cuppi duke 11-21-2011 08:24 AM

This is the way I do it too. If you are careful trimming your batting it won't be lumpy and bumpy.

Originally Posted by Crlyn (Post 4687245)
If it was me Lisa I would sandwich and quilt just the centre of a large quilt, and then do sections at a time. Which I have done quite sucessfully.