Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to make a quilting line template (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-make-quilting-line-template-t276940.html)

Watson 03-21-2016 09:17 AM

How to make a quilting line template

Now that I've gotten to the outside triangles on my quilt, I'd like to have a template so I can mark them all the same easily, rather than having to measure each one individually then mark it.

I have plastic template material...Is there a way to make your own quilting templates?

I'll look on-line too, but there is so much knowledge here I thought some of you might have your favourite ways.

Thanks, Watson

Editted to add that I found a thread here about this topic, but I was hoping to discover a way to make an actual quilting stencil out of plastic hat you could use over and over. Maybe use a soldering iron to burn the channel into the plastic? (Just an idea....)

Tartan 03-21-2016 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think Olfa makes a small cutting tool with two blades for cutting stencils. I think a soldering iron would warp or melt plastic. If you are going to use it over and over, I might use an exacto knife and cut the channels by hand. I have a set of pen like knives that I got at the $ store one time, they are handy for lots of little jobs.[ATTACH=CONFIG]545545[/ATTACH]

Daffy Daphne 03-21-2016 01:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have had good luck making quilting stencils out of DBK Plastic, which is flexible and easy to cut with an Exacto double-blade cutter. The rigid plastic that we use for templates to cut fabric pieces is much harder to cut, IMO. I did try an electric Plaid stencil cutter with a cutting tip that melts plastic, but found it hard to use--it kept getting hung and making big holes in the plastic, instead of a smooth line.

This is a DBK Plastic stencil for marking border quilting lines. Being flexible, it rolls up for storage, which is another advantage:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545562[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545563[/ATTACH]

Daffy

Watson 03-21-2016 03:40 PM

Well, I made one.

I used a piece of plastic template and my iron like this...https://www.google.ca/search?q=paper+piecing+iron&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:%7Breferrer:source%3F%7D&rlz=1I7GGHP_enCA464&bi w=1680&bih=925&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved
=0ahUKEwi516Sj-dLLAhVqsoMKHeVjB6oQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=3xmcBWkD6UzCUM%3 A

I drew the pattern on the template, then inserted the tip of the hot iron into the plastic until it melted and drew it along the pattern. The iron is wide enough that it left a channel that I can (mostly) get the tip of my fabric marker in to mark my quilt. Doesn't look pretty, but it works quite well!

Watson

Boston1954 03-21-2016 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I find easy shapes online and make them from clear plastic.

elnan 03-21-2016 03:50 PM

The book "Quilt Marking" by Pepper Cory, has a section on making your own stencils.

DOTTYMO 03-21-2016 11:03 PM

Thanks all, some fantastic ideas.

ManiacQuilter2 03-22-2016 04:48 AM

I never had much luck making stencils with the double blade Xacto knife. I mostly bought templates when I saw a designs I like so I have a huge collection. If I need to change the size, I scan the template, then resize the photo of the template and print it. I use normal drafting tracing paper cutting them into the size I need then put the photo underneath the few layers and then stitch following the lines with no thread in the sewing machine. Undo the copies and continue till you have all that you need. You can then follow the dots that the sewing machine made.

AliKat 03-22-2016 11:49 AM

If you have a friend with a Cricut, they could scan and cut for you. Works really well.

jmoore 03-23-2016 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 7501156)
Thanks all, some fantastic ideas.

I agree, there seems to always be more than one way to skin a cat... or make your own templates.