Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How To Make Your Own Color Catchers. Tips? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-make-your-own-color-catchers-tips-t260198.html)

tropit 01-24-2015 06:34 AM

How To Make Your Own Color Catchers. Tips?

I think that color catchers are amazing things to have around the laundry area and to help with bleeder fabrics. The problem for me is that our local stores don't carry them. So, I think that I might make my own. I looked up some "recipes" online and came up with using soda ash (washing soda) and water, soaking some scrap fabric, or felt, in it and letting the scraps air dry. OK, so how much soda do I need? Where do I get the soda ash? Anyone else every tried this? If so, tips are welcome. Thanks.

~ Cindy

DebraK 01-24-2015 06:40 AM

Dharma Trading sells soda ash, but I don't think that is really what you want. I think a bottle of synthrapol would be a better choice for washing away excess dye.

IrishNY 01-24-2015 06:57 AM

Seems like it would be easier to just order Color Catchers online. I just checked Amazon and you can get them. I'm sure there are other resources. I'm a HUGE fan of online shopping.

tessagin 01-24-2015 07:07 AM

Some of the stores don't know how to stock them in various shelves. Our local grocery and local Walmart have them in different locations all the time. Some of the discount stores have them. When I see them I buy atleast 2-3 boxes. I also use them over. I have done a quick wash in dish detergent like Dawn. Then rinse well til clear and reuse.

SewExtremeSeams 01-24-2015 07:07 AM

Walmart carries them and cost less. Do you have one nearby?

Onebyone 01-24-2015 07:09 AM

A non treated organic white cotton terry cloth will work to grab colors. The original catchers were made from this, no chemicals at all. But that fabric is expensive so may as well by the paper color catchers. Purex has a new no sorting detergent. No color catcher needed. Soda Ash is sold at pool supply stores. In grocery stores it is Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda.

tropit 01-24-2015 07:56 AM

I know...I could buy them online, but now I'm intrigued about making them myself. I would imagine that would be the cheaper route and they seem pretty easy to make. I'll try Dharma for the soda ash. I found a recipe that called for only 1 tablespoon of soda ash to 1 cup of water. You just soak the fabric in the solution and let them air dry. The instructions called for felt, but I'm thinking of using an old, ripped, cotton towel.
~Cindy

Onebyone 01-24-2015 08:41 AM

A build up of soda ash in the wash will make your clothes very odd feeling over time and towels very nonabsorbent. It doesn't rinse out easy.

Pollytink 01-24-2015 09:09 AM

Interesting thread! How do the color catchers work? Someone suggested terry cloth....and other solutions. I use the CC's and have wondered just how they work.

lildinks2013 01-24-2015 09:15 AM

As someone suggested a terry cloth. Would a terry wash cloth (white) work along with some arm n Hammer on cold cycle? Then maybe set the color with vinegar after that wash?