Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Many Have Been on a Quilting Cruise? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-have-been-quilting-cruise-t42750.html)

Dani 04-17-2010 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
I wish there was a american orient express one. I love trains and wouldn't that be fun to travel the country, stop, be driven to a quilt shop have a day class and off you go again. I would be in heaven.
I agree about the cruises being more fun to just sight see. I can't imagine fitting a class into all the fun of a trip like that. I am too exausted from all the fun!

I think a train trip with a quilt class at a quilt shop and shopping day, maybe over night there and train back would be a blast!!! Dani

Campbell34 04-17-2010 04:45 PM

My husband sent me and my sister on a quilting cruise last fall to the Mexican Riveria, It was wonderful, It was the first quilting cruise for this company,and my first too ,We flew into LA airport,they are planning another one in May to Alaska, They provided all the machines , the materials , champaigne in our cabin , a large fruit basket, T shirts and loads of fun, I would go again if I could afford it , I think it is a once in a lifetime thing for me ,We had an outside cabin and a balcony, they just kept dropping the prices so it was a real good deal, Then in January our quilting guild had a seminar here called Quilting at the Lake, . After the several days of lessons we have our regular meeting , I was findindg my seat when I spied two ladies that I was on the cruise with , What a surprise, , Next year we are goign to spend some time together here with them , maybe a big BBQ, we exchanged E-Mials so we could keep in contact with each other , My sister and I are in our 70's , what a memory we have , thanks to my great husband of 6 years :thumbup: , :lol:

Campbell34 04-17-2010 04:53 PM

The cruise I was on was on the top of my bucket list, My sister and I had both lost spouses to cancer so every day is a great day for us,My present husband had lost his spouse to cancer too, so we think memories are important, Don't wait until you retire, My former husband reached retirement and then died, not a fun thing, The next thing on my bucket list is to spend time in the White Mountains in Arizona, stay at the lodge and ride around those beautiful hills with the top down on my Vette , We don't have a lot but we will save for the lodge, Every body shoud see the Bucket list movie. Makes you think :thumbup: :XD:

suzeq 04-17-2010 05:12 PM

well, I might reconsider Aruba. After all, I will not be going to a bar or such like that high schooler did and has never been seen since. Suzeq

shaverg 04-17-2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by suzeq
well, I might reconsider Aruba. After all, I will not be going to a bar or such like that high schooler did and has never been seen since. Suzeq

I have a better chance something bad happening in LA, than I do Aruba. Don't miss your chance to see a beautiful island.

Phyl 04-17-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
nah I haven't - 'see them advertised all the time - so wanna go badly and was wondering how many of YOU have been on one - Was it Fun? Who was the guest? What did you learn??

I went on one a couple of years ago(to the Caribbean) with a quilting friend of mine. We loved it! It was arranged by SEW MANY PLACES, Jim West's company. (sewmanyplaces.com) Helen Squire, from AQS was our leader. She was great! We had three classes, all done while we were at sea in lovely rooms. Two of the three classes were machine classes and Singer had each of the rooms equipped with 35 brand new machines. They sent a few representatives along so there was never a problem.
We ate early dinner and had the choice of doing whatever we wanted on board or going to the sewing rooms to catch up on our classwork. Most of us went to the sewing rooms as we were having a great time with each other! We laughed and helped each other. As a matter of fact, my friend and I are going again in January with Mary Englebrite! She is the creator of that great fabric that has the little girl on it with the sayings such as "It's GREAT to be Queen!"
In each port, we enjoyed the stop and looked for fabric shops, of course!
Go to the website...SoManyPlaces.com and see a variety of trips, all over the world. The travel is great and the people devine. If I could afford to go all over with quilters, life would be TOOOOOOO good! (Out of 100, 96 were quilters, mostly women but a few men as well as 4 spouses. And, of course, the spouses won the Singer sewing machines!!) Yes, if you found a machine out of the new machines on board, that you liked, you could buy it when we got back to Ft.Lauderdale, Florida, for almost $300. less than absolutely new! I can't wait to go again. Post it if you do go! (The instructors included Kimberly Eino, a lovely and talented woman who has invented great rulers, written several quillting books, and knows how to teach!)

zz-pd 04-17-2010 06:48 PM

I have never been to a quilting anything. Penny

fish92241 04-17-2010 07:15 PM

I would rather go on a quilt retreat for quilting, and a cruise for cruising. I would have a hard time quilting when I thought I was missing something or enjoying the deck. I would feel divided.

Margie 04-17-2010 08:08 PM

I want to...but havent been yet.

Campbell34 04-17-2010 08:11 PM

The cruise I went on we only quilted the days we were at sea if we wanted to go ashore or stay and quilt, . we stopped at all the ports, there was shows every night on the ship and gambling also if you were so inclined , There was plenty of time to do all the things a person would want to do, we were assigned a table for dinner and we ate with the same people every night , but we could quilt any time we wanted to in the evenings if we were so inclined