Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many Jelly Rolls to make a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-jelly-rolls-make-quilt-t198999.html)

Linda58 08-29-2012 07:21 AM

How many Jelly Rolls to make a quilt

Hi Ladies,
Does anyone have a chart on how many Jelly rolls it takes to make a twin size, a full size, a queen size, and a king size quilt.

I am going to make two queens for 2 of my daughters, one strip and one rail quilt.

I have no idea how many jelly rolls I will need.

Help please.
Linda58

sandybeach 08-29-2012 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you have a pre-printed pattern, it should tell you how many to buy. If you are making it up, just decide how big the blocks are going to be, then figure how long each strip needs to be for that block. Multiply that by the number of blocks you want and you will get the approximate amount of fabric you will need. Now, most jelly rolls have 40 strips of approx. 40"-41" each. So you will have 1600 inches by 2.5" (before you include the seams). Now the rail quilt doesn't lend itself to using a jelly roll as usually you use 3 or 4 strips of the same fabrics and just keep turning them. You wouldn't want 40 different fabrics. After reading this, I hope it is not too confusing. I just finished a queen size quilt for a man I work with and I think I used close to 4 jelly rolls not counting the borders.

Chasing Hawk 08-29-2012 08:55 AM

Wow Sandy!!

What a lovely quilt. How nice of you to color coordinate the quilt to match your cat. :)

We would love to have a Siamese cat but Kola wouldn't approve. She has been our only house cat since the day she was born. Kola thinks she doesn't get enough pets during the day as it is, and sharing pets with another cat would be unthinkable....lol

dunster 08-29-2012 09:53 AM

One jelly roll is 40 strips, approximately 40"x2.5". If you used the strips as whole pieces (as in the jelly roll race quilt), each strip would provide about 3200 square inches (40 strips *40" long *2" wide after seam allowances). Now if you know what size quilt you want, figure its square inches and divide that by 3200 to get how many jelly rolls you need. For example, to make a queen quilt that is 90x100, you need 3 jelly rolls (90x100/3200=2.8). If you cut the strips up, you will have more fabric in the seams and will therefore need more jelly rolls at some point.

bearisgray 08-29-2012 10:17 AM

For approximate width by length that would yield 3200 square inches

3200 = 100 x 32
3200 = 50 x 64

uniquedesigner 10-14-2012 12:18 PM

What a lovely quilt. I love the colors...

Just Me... 10-14-2012 12:20 PM

It really depends on the pattern. I made a twin-size quilt with two jelly rolls and some border fabric....

YukonViv 10-14-2012 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Linda58 (Post 5476608)
Hi Ladies,
Does anyone have a chart on how many Jelly rolls it takes to make a twin size, a full size, a queen size, and a king size quilt.

I am going to make two queens for 2 of my daughters, one strip and one rail quilt.

I have no idea how many jelly rolls I will need.

Help please.
Linda58

Linda, I used one and half jelly rolls, with a border fabric to make a large double rail fence quilt. I don't know the exact dimensions as it's put away right now but I'm positive the batting package I bought was for a double not a queen.

HTH,

dbright 10-15-2012 02:58 AM

Go to missouri star quilt co you tube and put in 3 Dudes and there is a jelly roll quilt that can be made in a day and looks good.