Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many Pincushions does it take... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-pincushions-does-take-t53424.html)

Debra Mc 07-10-2010 04:58 PM

3 to 4

yellowsnow55 07-10-2010 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn

Originally Posted by martyr
OMG!!! I have 7, and I haven't quilted much yet! I have one for old fancy pins, 1 for long bead pins, 1 for pearl pins used to make snowflakes, 1 for sewing machine needles, 1 for regular pins by the machine, 1 by the cutting board, and lastly one tiny one for hand sewing needles. And, I'm thnking of making a new one for big eyed craft needles! LOL

What do you like to use to fill your pincushions?

Rice or lentils, gives them a nice weight

Gwyn 07-10-2010 05:09 PM

I've used rice for a while. I've been thinking the gravel you use for caged birds would work. I have a very old one made of sand and anice seed. It smells like licorice when you use it. My mother swears wild bird seed is good.

One thing I am experimenting with is using sand paper as part of the construction.

bourvel 07-10-2010 05:26 PM

I can use only one which I found a pain in ........ because my cat grabs them with her teeth and runs away. therefore I have to carry my pincushion every step I make, from my sewing machine to my ironing board and to my cutting table. when I'm through with sewing I have to hide it in my sewing machine cabinet, I have to cover my metal sewing accessories/tool and pick up everything from my cutting table. But she's so adorable that I give in to her bad habits. Cats really rule your life and cat lovers just love it

AliceQ 07-10-2010 05:51 PM

I LOVE pincushions! But my pins are in one empty loose face powder container. (I save them and use them for many things.)

Pat G 07-10-2010 06:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jamh
I have them every where! Never have enough pins! lol

You guys are so funny. I can't believe how many pin cushions you use. I can sure understand it though. A cpl. of yrs. ago I made pincushions with pcs. of English paper pcs. on top. I'm trying to send pix but am not having much success.

The lg one is 8" square. I call this one my "cow pie". The smaller ones which I haven't used are 5" & 4". If remember, they are filled with rice. I put my flower head pins on one side & fine glassheads on the other. That way I have both handy. Frankly, I still prefer the magnetic ones. You see I have one glued to the top of the cow pie for needles.

I'm so sorry. I didn't know this sent twice.
The last pix is my Quilt for Kids quilt I finished this morn. Just wanted to share it.

Pat G 07-10-2010 06:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jamh
I have them every where! Never have enough pins! lol

You guys are so funny. I can't believe how many pin cushions you use. I can sure understand it though. A cpl. of yrs. ago I made pincushions with pcs. of English paper pcs. on top. I'm trying to send pix but am not having much success.

The lg one is 8" square. I call this one my "cow pie". The smaller ones which I haven't used are 5" & 4". If remember, they are filled with rice. I put my flower head pins on one side & fine glassheads on the other. That way I have both handy. Frankly, I still prefer the magnetic ones. You see I have one glued to the top of the cow pie for needles.

The third pix is the Quilt for Kids that I finished this morn. So cute.
I couldn't see where to delete the spare pix. Sorry

ReeneeD 07-10-2010 06:38 PM

So funny! I was sewing today and suddenly I realized that I had four pin cusshions - two by the sewing machine - and two at the cutting area. Don't know why I need so many LOL What I really need more of are measuring tapes!!!

purplefiend 07-10-2010 07:51 PM

Pat G,
I think your pin cushions are adorable! So is the baby quilt. I just finished a baby quilt last night, it will go to "The Linus Connection". Its a local organization in central Texas and all the quilts stay here.
Sharon W.

smitty 07-10-2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by threads57
Yes the little strawberry has emery in it and it does sharpen your pins and needles. I had a couple of tomato pincushions that were worn out and I cut of the strawberry and discared the rest. I keep them in my sewing bags when I find my needles need to be sharped or just sometimes cleaned up a bit.

that's what I do with the tiny berries too ! they work so nice in a
take-along project. I have pin cushions in each had-sewing project that I am doing,with my travel machine,several around my sewing
room. our Woolies group exchanges pin cushions each Christmas,
so I have some really neat ones. recently tried wool balls to put in
pretty, small dishes or swans. a mess, but fun. smitty