Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many places is (new) fabric available near where you live? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-places-new-fabric-available-near-where-you-live-t22922.html)

quilterella 08-27-2009 03:54 AM

You gals don't know how lucky some of you are. To have decent quilting fabric within an hour is awesome. My closest LQS is approx 1hr 45mins each direction. But there are 3-4 shops in that area, so, when I go, I stock up with patterns or ideas in hand. However, fabric here(Moda, KonaBay, Seaside or the better ones), all run between 14.95 and 26.95 per metre, I kid you not. I wish there was such a place to buy more reasonably priced material. Oh well!! we do what we got to do...right? Even when I had my shop a couple of years ago, fabric was anywhere between 12.95 & 18.95 a metre.

hokieappmom 08-27-2009 06:19 AM

I live in a small city that has one LQS and one fabric shop that doesn't cater to quilting fabric. I've bought some fill-ins there, but they don't carry many fabrics in any collections. Then there are two great LQS about 30 mintues away.

hokieappmom 08-27-2009 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Deara
Ten miles in one direction is two Quilt Shops. (Mooresville) :roll:
The other direction is Hancocks, Hobby Lobby and Ben Franklin.(Kannapolis) :roll:
Then there's Mary Jo's in Gastonia which is a nice ride down the interstate. :)
When I visit my sister in Cary there's a JoAnns. :lol:
I also have the internet at my fingertips. :lol:
I have shopped Ebay and I'm happy with my purchases. :shock:

Really blessed to have so many choices. :lol:
Deara

If you're ever in Lexington, we have a LQS that discounts her fabric. The name is Quilting Quest, and they have a website too: www.quiltingquest.net. Most are $5-$6 a yard and she has quite a selection. Doesn't carry Moda or the higher end fabrics. Also carries a good variety of 108" wide for backing. I've used her fabrics in small craft projects and been very pleased, but haven't made a quilt with any yet.

Favorite Fabrics 08-27-2009 06:32 AM

Buffalo NY area - we have three large JoAnn's, a Hobby Lobby (new withing the past year or so) and 5 LQS, all within a 45 min. drive from downtown. And one Wal-Mart that still carries fabric. Sounds like we are very lucky here!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-27-2009 07:32 AM

I have Wal-Mart about 20 minutes away. After that, I have to drive about an hour to buy fabric. There are no quilt shops closer than an hour away that I have found. I always try to buy some fabric at Wal-Mart because I want them to keep the department open. It's better than nothing even though the selection is limited.

Elsie 08-27-2009 08:55 AM

mine about 3 t0 5 minutes away from wal-mart and hobby lobby and down the road is a LQS so i dont go to LQS to much it cost a lot their

Cathe 08-27-2009 10:21 AM

I love going to my parents's house in Crystal, MN - they live a block away from Mill End. I tease my mom that this is why they bought their house.

I have a Walmart in town and then a Joanns about 40 minutes away.

kcat114 08-27-2009 01:15 PM

I am a roughly 10 minutes drive away from a JoAnn, and 5 minutes drive from a small local fabrics store that sells designer fabrics.
I like the internet too, but nothing beats being able to touch and handle the fabrics when shopping!

Shemjo 08-27-2009 01:38 PM

Kcat, is that a snake around your neck? :?