Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many sewing machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-sewing-machines-t160750.html)

amyjo 10-15-2011 08:57 PM

I have lots of sewing machines. I just like them and if they are cheap I buy. doesn't mean I will use them all, but I just like them. One day when I have my addition on the house to the west, I plan on having shelving put up to set my machines on to look at. Hehehe, just like if I see a pattern for a quilt or a piece of fabric that I like and can afford it I will buy it. I don't go whole hog and buy the most expensive fabric or sewing machine.

watson's mom 10-15-2011 08:59 PM

I have only 5. I did give one to a friend whose machine was on it's last legs and sold a couple of others. From now on I am keeping them all. I am looking for a serger (never had one before), I think it will come in handy for making housecoats and tote bags. I looked at the Janome 12000 on Friday and am really thinking about getting one. I love the big hoops it has. We'll see what happens.

sewbeadit 10-15-2011 09:10 PM

We collect sewing machines because we like them, all older mechanical ones. I do have several sergers and other machines only one new long arm and hope that is all of those I get.lol WE just love sewing machines.

sewbeadit 10-15-2011 09:12 PM

I would recommend a good serger for anyone that sews clothing of any kind as well as your bags. Sergers are a great invention. The first one I ever saw was about 27 years ago and I bought one on the spot and took it home and used it right then and there. Was one of the greatest finds I ever had. If need be take lessons so you can get full benefit from using yours. Doesn't have to be fancy to be worth having, just a good one.

sewbeadit 10-15-2011 09:12 PM

I would recommend a good serger for anyone that sews clothing of any kind as well as your bags. Sergers are a great invention. The first one I ever saw was about 27 years ago and I bought one on the spot and took it home and used it right then and there. Was one of the greatest finds I ever had. If need be take lessons so you can get full benefit from using yours. Doesn't have to be fancy to be worth having, just a good one.

sewbeadit 10-15-2011 09:16 PM

Well sounds like you are hungting for a sewing machine, good for you. Let us know when you find one. Sometimes dealers will have them for a good price also.

marytoddliz 10-15-2011 09:21 PM

I have 7 machines and use them all but one. my main machine is a 30 year old New Home Memory Craft 6000. I love it and will really hate to give it up. I have a Viking Huskquvarna, limited Edition. I bought it to do embroidery work. I am still getting used to it so don't do very much just sewing on it. I have a old Kenmore I use when my New Home is in the shop, which is often lately! it is good for back up but not for heavy use. I have a Babylock surger I use a lot for finishing edges. I have a viking felting machine that is fun to create with. and my quilting machine is an industrial Riccour. The fastest machine I have ever used! And the one I don't use is a 1921 singer that I would love to get converted back to a tredle machine.

I feel blessed to have what I have, and I would love to have a long arm quilter. I also looked at the new Janome 12000, what a fantastic machine!

New Home is actually a Janome product, for a little while they used the name New Home in the US, later they changed it back to Janome, but it is still the same manafacturer. I love the brand and think they have a great product!

sewnsewer2 10-15-2011 09:32 PM

I have a juki TL98Q, Kenmore, Bernina 640 combo, Brother PE770 and a serger. They ALL get used almost on a daily basis.

I can have both embroidery machines going, while I am using my juki and serger at the same time. Sounds like a factory in my sewing room with just ME in there! :lol: :lol:

QuiltnLady1 10-15-2011 10:36 PM

I have an Elna Supra that is 35 years old -- great for piecing and weighs a ton. I have a Janome Horizon that I use most of the time, a Janome 3160 for taking to class, the Juki TL98Q on a Grace frame (I don't move it), the Janome 9700 for embroidery and a Pfaff Serger. I guess that is 6 -- don't have room for more.

Jim 10-15-2011 11:05 PM

We have...a 70s Singer, 80's Kenmore, An Industrial Singer that is our quilting machine, another industrial Singer that is our binding machine, a Brother and a Brother Project Runway. A 1953 Singer 201-2. And a Bernina that we won at a quilt show 2 weeks ago. I am currently looking for a feather weight...a treadle machine...and hopefully we will soon get an embroidery machine...also have a toyota Serger