Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many wish for a quilt bee (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-wish-quilt-bee-t231718.html)

chairjogger 10-04-2013 07:18 AM

How many wish for a quilt bee

My grandmother's quilting bee is a thing of the past. I miss the chance to quilt and be with people.. How many of you think the same? Quilting has become an individual hobby until once a month quilt guild. I would love a quilting bee.

Holice 10-04-2013 07:24 AM

Then organize one. Start with a friend or two and go from there. You can make it happen.

quiltingloulou 10-04-2013 07:38 AM

I would love to belong to a quilt bee. Since moving home in the UK, I appear to have relocated to an area that doesn't have too many quilters. I did find a monthly group a while back but the leader moved abroad so the group folded. There were only four of us left after one of the group passed and as a consequence, we all went our separate ways.

Dina 10-04-2013 07:43 AM

Our guild has bees. Our last club president tried to get a feel for how many there were...but I think she found out that none were "accepting" new members. But maybe you could start your own, like Holice suggested. Or...one of our local quilt stores has a "Come and Sew" every Wednesday. Maybe there is something like that nearby?

Dina

chairjogger 10-04-2013 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingloulou (Post 6330049)
I would love to belong to a quilt bee. Since moving home in the UK, I appear to have relocated to an area that doesn't have too many quilters. I did find a monthly group a while back but the leader moved abroad so the group folded. There were only four of us left after one of the group passed and as a consequence, we all went our separate ways.

Quilting has become an "individual sport/hobby.It is age related too.. the ones that work cannot meet during the day.. There has to be quilters in my neighbored, but it is a time where we know little of our neighbors. Sorry that your group dismantled.

Tartan 10-04-2013 07:48 AM

I do enjoy quilting around a quilt frame with other quilters. No one wants a quilt frame up in their house because you need a big area to accommodate the quilt and people around with chairs. Unless you can find a community center or something similar that doesn't mind it set up for a few weeks, you are kind of limited. It isn't fun when you have to rush to free up the space for other events.

Kat Sews 10-04-2013 07:49 AM

We have a quilting bee every week at our local community center. Everyone is welcome. We have a dedicated room and have two frames up most of the time.

DOTTYMO 10-04-2013 09:45 AM

Oh I am also a chairjogger love it. Sorry you are too far away or you could join us for as all amount on a Friday. We have been meeting on a Friday for about 4 years. The group changes some come some go but a small core stay the same. We chat and sew, put the world to rights but most of all laugh. Sometimes I don't sew a stitch but for my own social level I feel so much better, just find a suitable room with parking and at an affordable price

toverly 10-04-2013 09:54 AM

Start one! They are wonderful. I am in a bee and a Guild. I love the bee more. Our Guild decided a long time ago to only be a Guild and not sponsor bees. I guess there are too many personality conflicts in small groups. Anyway, just find a place to go (that's the hardest part) and announce a new bee at your Guild. I bet others are looking for a bee also.

lynnie 10-04-2013 11:59 AM

i'm in one, we meet (3 of us0 on tues, we always have fun and encourage each other