Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you hand quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-hand-quilt-t192116.html)

sewobsessed1 06-18-2012 03:11 PM

I have never quilted by machine, my quilts are always hand quilted. It's the part I enjoy the most.

AshleyR 06-18-2012 03:22 PM

I love to hand quilt, but it is only a winter-time thing for me!! I learned how to do it when I was 28 (10 years ago) and when I was able to quilt at work, I'd knock them out!! I moved away from my quilting bee (they taught me and they let me quilt their tops) and I stopped quilting. I moved to a larger farm-house last year and started quilting again just last winter. I decided to look online for tips and stencils, etc, and I found machine quilting (FMQ) on Youtube and I just had to try it!! I love machine quilting now!
But there is just something about hand-quilting that can't be beat. I'll hand-quilt (when it's cool enough!) as long as I'm able to. I never really learned how to make a top or how to bind, tho, and I buy my tops off ebay and the few projects that I've finished, I managed to bind without being too embarrassed to give as gifts, but I need more practice!

cdmmiracles 06-18-2012 03:32 PM

I prefer hand quilting.....it's so much more relaxing to be able to kick back in the recliner after working all day and work on my quilt for a little while. I'm currently finishing the hand piecing of a "Lone Star" for a king size bed. Hopefully soon to start the hand quilting of it. It is very relaxing, but it does take much longer.

Kitsie 06-18-2012 04:11 PM

I like the look and the work. Nice to do of an evening.

Lilrain 06-18-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5298691)
I have never hand quilted but 2 weekends ago we were up in Michigan camping and visiting family. My other half's aunt has a double wedding ring quilt that her mother made right before her death 2 years ago. The top is completed and has been pinned to the batting and backing. She asked me if I could quilt it for her. I feel really honored that she asked me to do this for her (I really didn't think she liked me!). There were 7 children and 7 quilts distributed. Everyone else found a longarmer to send it out to. One paid over $300 to get it done. I know money isn't the issue for her. I really don't care for FMQ on my domestic machine other than SID and straight lines so I am going to try my hand at hand quilting. As it is a queen or a king size, I know this will take some time but I just feel it deserves the hand quilting. Bought my Qsnap frame, Perl cotton, needles, Tiger Tape to keep my stitches neat and tidy, and that stuff you swipe the thread thru to keep it from getting tangled this weekend!

Are you planning to quilt it with peral cotton?

Lilrain 06-18-2012 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hinterland (Post 5298755)
There are a quite a few hand quilters on this board...and I'm one of them. :) I don't think it's a dying art, but it isn't as common as it used to be. It does take time, but I find it more enjoyable than sitting at my sewing machine.

Janet

We had about 250 quilts in our annual show, have over 500 members in our guild, and no catagory for hand quilting anymore. Not sure if we had a handquilted quilt in the show this year or not

LadyElisabeth 06-18-2012 05:00 PM

I hand quilted ONE quilt, double wedding ring quilt. My problem is I have 4 children and they all want it. My other quilts have all been machine quilted. Rinding time to hand quilt is now a problem

virtualbernie 06-18-2012 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain (Post 5299346)
Are you planning to quilt it with peral cotton?

I was wondering that too.

dublb 06-18-2012 05:18 PM

I'm a hand quilter who has learned ta piece & machine quilt. :) My true love is hand quiltin'. Right now I'm English PPing a GFG so I'm not hand quilting for the first time in 10 years.:( I really miss it.

QUILTNMO 06-18-2012 05:30 PM

i was only taught to hand quilt i do all mine by hand love it