Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you quilt your own quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-quilt-your-own-quilts-t186672.html)

Iamquilter 04-20-2012 09:13 AM

I hand quilt all my own quilts. Never have sent one to a LAQ, don't really care for the stiffness of the LA quilting.

gramajo 04-20-2012 09:28 AM

Except for 1 king sized quilt, I quilt my own. I can't afford to have them done. Of course, I only straight-line quilt---SID or outline. FMQ intimidates me and I have so many quilts I want to make that I won't/haven't take the time to practice FMQing. My quilts are gifts or for Project Linus; I'm not entering them in shows. I do what I enjoy doing. I'm too old to stress myself out on something I don't enjoy. :D Besides, especially for gift quilts, I want them to be all my own.

egagnon291 04-20-2012 09:32 AM

I do my own start to finish. And I hand quilt them all. I can understand why people would send them out, but for me it's like the quilt isn't really mine. Althought, if I did send them out I could do a lot more quilts. I keep thinking about learning to machine quilt, but I really find the hand quilting to be quite therapuetic.

Mariposa 04-20-2012 09:35 AM

I do quilt my own. Got tired of never being able to get into a LQS to do mine. I now enjoy being able to walk away from a project, and come back to it when I can. :)

Maggiemay 04-20-2012 09:35 AM

I am a self taught quilter & quilt my own quilts. Until I went to my 1st quilt show I never even realized that everyone didn't do their own quilting! Several years ago I got a Janome1600P that has a 9" throat space to make quilting the bigger ones easier. I am not too fancy, lots of SID & straight lines but I am getting better at FMQ. Piecing is really my favorite part of quilting.

grammysharon 04-20-2012 10:13 AM

I have quilted my own until I finished making a queen size for myself. I plan on sending it to Charisma for quilting!!!!
PS I have a Bernina 830 also!!!!!!!

snow 04-20-2012 10:33 AM

I quilt my own with a vicking mega quilter machine.

An Arm Long 04-20-2012 10:46 AM

I have never sent one out. I have a thing about it being all my own work. I now have a LA so it is alot easier.

burchquilts 04-20-2012 10:52 AM

Way back in the day I used to hand quilt mine but have that's just gotten too tiring & hard to do (can't be because I'm getting old, can it? LOL!). Nowadays machine quilting is so advanced & pretty, I send all mine out & have been quite happy with the results.

Lori S 04-20-2012 11:09 AM

I gave up the guilt of not quilting my own a long time ago. I hate and I mean really hate ..quilting anything over a lap size quilt.
So many L/A pros are artists with what they can do, that I will continue to explore and go further with my art of piecing, and leave the quilting to a PRO. I would rather eat mac &cheese , cheap bologna sandwiches , even give up ice cream ( and I really love ice cream) than quilt a big quilt myself.
Sending my quilts to a pro , is the best gift I can give myself