Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you use cutting mat lines when cutting fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-use-cutting-mat-lines-when-cutting-fabric-t92154.html)

KarenK 01-20-2011 11:17 AM

I never use the lines on a mat for cutting. I use the plain side of my mat and all my rulers are the same brand for consistency. Most of my quilts are miniatures to wall sized. When I do make a lap or bed sized quilt, the individual pieces are usually in the smaller range. I have found that when the pieces are smaller, there is less "wiggle room" for sewing the pieces together. Being more precise starting at the cutting step has made it so much easier for me to construct the quilt top.

TN Donna 01-20-2011 11:24 AM

I use the ruler to cut strips and then I use a smaller one to cut squares and triangles.

Jill 01-20-2011 11:26 AM

I do not use the lines on the mat, and have actually turned it over so I can't. I have always read that it isn't accurate and I want my pieces to be as accurate as possible.

Grace MooreLinker 01-20-2011 11:28 AM

I use the line on the mate to line up but use the ruler for me straight lines, double check both before cutting. I have termors so I do alot of double checking to make sure I haven't moved anything lout of line... Everyone has their
procedure, when I learn to quilt the mats and roller cutters were not thought of.

Grace MooreLinker 01-20-2011 11:30 AM

Like this statement

pdcakm 01-20-2011 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I do it that way. but you have to make sure you have a good and accurate mat.

ditto. measure your mat markings first to be sure they are accurate. all mats are not created equal.

skydiver70 01-20-2011 11:44 AM

Well, I guess I am the loner here. LOL I don't have all the rulers so I have to cut a template and draw around it then cut with scissors. May not be the correct way, but has to work for me.

Grandmother and Mother didn't have rulers either, but the quilts turned out beautiful. Of course, they weren't fancy patterns like is available today.

LivelyLady 01-20-2011 12:48 PM

I only use the mat lines rarely (when cutting yardage for 9 patch posies, or to cut left over fabric into fat quarters, etc) other than that I only use my rulers for cutting.

Moon Holiday 01-20-2011 02:48 PM

I use the both together.

candi 01-20-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I have always done it this way - lining up my fabric on the mat, then putting my ruler over all of the fabric except the part I want to cut away, aligning it with the markings on the mat.

I read all the reasons why I should put my ruler on the piece I wanted to cut off, and it never made any sense to me, especially if I wanted to only cut off a small piece.

This is how I was taught to do it. I can't even think how I would do it without lining the fabric in my mat lines. :-P Ah, bless you Nancy ( my quilt teacher), she was so good and so patient with someone who's never even threaded a sewing machine before :mrgreen:

I forgot to say, that I still use my ruler to measure too, and it always lines up with my mat lines :thumbup: