Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much to buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-buy-t68202.html)

pester 10-04-2010 06:39 AM

How much do you buy when you add a piece to your "stash". I'm starting with baby sized quilts.

I am new to quilting so don't have a "stash" yet. I am starting a tradition of making a baby quilt for the new babies in the family. Knowing how much fabric to buy for the tops is the hard part for me. If I have a pattern planned I try and figure out how much for each color I need. But I want to keep an eye out for cute boy/girl fabrics. Is there a general "amount" 1/2 yd, 1 yd ect that will be enough for piecing a top of a baby sized quilt. If I find a piece of fabric I like with out having a actual pattern planned out yet?

CoyoteQuilts 10-04-2010 07:02 AM

It always comes down to preference..... but that said, if I really, really like the pattern I will buy what the pocketbook allows. I usually buy in the marked down section of LQS, so that would mean at least 2 yards if not what is left on the bolt. I know if I don't get all that I can then I won't find it if I need more. If it is just a 'nice' piece then I usually buy 1 yard. When the stores have FQ's on sale I will buy them, but usually I don't because sale yardage is cheaper.....

Good luck building your stash! Oh, and when you go to make your quilt with your stash...... you will find you will need to make a trip for another piece to match..... never fails.....

karen65ae 10-04-2010 07:12 AM

If I know I am going to use it for backing a baby quilt I purchase 3 yards as I get 2 quilts out of the 3 yards....and have some left over , that can be used in another quilt

littlehud 10-04-2010 07:16 AM

I make all sizes of quilts so if I like a fabric I'll buy two yards but if I really love the fabric I'll buy all I can and it will appear in a number of my quilts.

raptureready 10-04-2010 07:29 AM

If I can afford it and really like it, I try to get at least two yards. I use some when piecing the front and the rest for the backing. Even if it's something I'm just adding to the stash I still like to get 2 yds. You just never know when you might want to make two similar blankets from the same fabric---like for twins!

Joan 10-04-2010 07:33 AM

I started only buying a yard of fabric that caught my eye.

These days, I buy two yards.

The most frustrating thing in the world is to run out of a certain fabric and not be able to find more.........the subject of my nightmares, I might add :P

pester 10-04-2010 07:40 AM

Thanks so much for all your expirenced wisdom. :-) Sounds like buy it all if you can. Or 1-2 yards is a good start. Thanks. Wonder if my DH is finially understanding why I want a craft room.

amma 10-04-2010 10:42 AM

Primary colors and pastels can be used in a LOT of childrens quilts, so if I find a good buy I try and stock up.
The same with fabric that makes a cute backing.
Prints I usually buy atleast a 1/2 yd for each quilt, and fill in with the blenders.

purplemem 10-04-2010 03:52 PM

I buy 1 yard of print, 1 yard of two separate coordinates. I usually use all the print, and most of the extras. I bind with whatever is leftover of the three, sometimes all three fabrics!

judi wess 10-05-2010 04:18 AM

I learned the hard way. I have wayyyy too many med. toned focus fabrics and too few dark and very light pull together pieces, consequently I always have to hit the LQS and buy more basics to complete projects. Now I look for the connectors and basics when I have some extra fabric cash.