Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Much Do You Buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-do-you-buy-t216019.html)

starr511 03-10-2013 12:25 PM

How Much Do You Buy?

Since I am new to buying fabric for quilting here is my question. When you run across a fabric sale, and you just have to have some, how do you know how much to buy of each print?:D Especially if you don't have a pattern in mind.

Thanks

linda8450 03-10-2013 12:34 PM

If I find a whole collection of a particular line, I might buy 1/4 or 1/2 yard pieces of all or several, and 1 or 2 yard cuts of something that particularly strikes my fancy for borders or a statement piece. Generally I buy 1-2 yards of just the odd piece I just have to have. For backing, blenders, etc. maybe 4-6 yards. If I don't have a pattern in mind it is sort of iffy. Mostly I just dream something up and do it, not a real pattern kinda gal..but I do make a drawing and try to follow what I started with, but usually it takes on a mind of it's own....a friend will make a suggestion that I didn't see, and off we go in a different direction, and sometimes back to get more fabric!

eparys 03-10-2013 12:46 PM

Many ask that question and there are even more answers (lol) than folks on the board I think.

What I do is, if it is a neutral that I can use as background - I purchase 4 - 6 yds, if it is a really cute novelty I will purchase 1/2 - 1 yard, if it is a color or a Batik that I really like I but 1-2 yards. Bottom line - but as much as you can afford because when you want to use it if you need more than you have - you will probably not be able to repurchase it.

momto5 03-10-2013 12:51 PM

If it's on sale...it's Katy-bar-the-door! If not, I try to confine my spending to 3-4 yards of whatever I "think" I need. Standards (blacks, whites, neutrals, etc.) are usually by the bolt...just because I use a lot of them. I very rarely buy with a designated pattern in mind...I am more apt to get it all together and then decide, Hey! this would make a great (star, dresden plate, drunkard's path, snail's trail....); anyway, you get the idea. I need to quit buying fabric...I have several thousand yards in my stash and will NEVER use it all up! (But won't my kids have fun when I'm gone!). And I very rarely buy a whole collection of fabrics...I really don't like the "way put-together" look....I much prefer lots of fabrics in one top...but that's just me...:)

Tartan 03-10-2013 01:48 PM

It depend on what size quilts you do. For me in Canada, I usually buy 2 meters of fabric which works out to about 80 inches. I do that so that I can cut borders from it for a fairly good sized quilt.

ArtsyOne 03-10-2013 02:08 PM

I'm like "momto5" - when I see a fabric I'm thinking "this would make great binding, or border, or part of a DP9, or this would go great with that Asian fabric I have stashed away". If for binding, I know from experience that a 1/2 yard will give me enough to go around a 48" x 48" and if I really like it and would use it for a couple of quilts I'll buy a full yard. If for backing (my biggest quilts are 52" x 52"), I'll buy 2.5 yards and have some left over to cut up for string quilts or scrap quilts. And sometimes I buy fabric just because I like it and have no idea at all what I'll do with it. In that case, I usually buy a half yard.

Joset 03-11-2013 04:45 AM

I always buy at least 1 yard of fabric.

quiltstringz 03-11-2013 08:18 AM

It also depends on how "controlled" you like your quilts. I can remember buying a FQ pack and splitting it with a friend (giving us each fat 8s) buying additional fabric for my border, background and sashing. The fat 8s were enough for all of my blocks. Of course it was not a quilt where the blocks had the same 3 colors in it.

SherriB 03-11-2013 08:20 AM

I try to buy at least a yard if I can afford it. If it is an awesome sale, then I will buy 2 or more yards.

aronel 03-11-2013 09:59 AM

When I started to quilt, I didn't have a clue as to how much fabric a quilt would take, so when I decided to teach myself how to sew and then quilt, I purchased a used machine ($15) and searched for fabric and books. I only bought fabric that I loved and always bought 5 yards minimum. But that's my story, buy what you love and can afford!