Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much do you pin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-do-you-pin-t217462.html)

Sarah in Brooklyn 03-27-2013 04:00 AM

How much do you pin?

Just curious - I was watching a video tutorial the other day and the woman pinned *everything* even tiny little pieces. I don't pin that much. I have a 1/4" foot and the machine does a good job of keeping things straight. What it doesn't like is sewing over pins! So if I don't have to pin, I just don't. Anyone else have thoughts about this?

JulieR 03-27-2013 04:03 AM

I pin as much as I need to and no more. If it's a forgiving pattern, forget it. If it's a fiddly little thing then I probably would pin, but I also probably wouldn't tackle a fiddly pattern with my machine :)

cabbagepatchkid 03-27-2013 04:07 AM

I like to pin if the seam is long. I also like to pin at any seams that need to match. I don't sew over the pins, though. I take them out just before they go under the needle.

I learned to pin, way back in Jr. High home ec class, so it may be just a habit for me. I watch Bonnie Hunter quilt on "QuiltCam" and have never seen her ever pin anything so it can be done but I prefer to pin.

feline fanatic 03-27-2013 04:09 AM

I pin just like Cabbage patch, long seams like borders, where seams intersect and need to match, curves I pin alot, and anytime I need to ease in I pin.

toolazy 03-27-2013 04:18 AM

Like feline fanatic and Cabbagepatch. Maybe a little less on the Pfaff (dual feed) -- I can do a full-length drapery sized seam with no pins, and can manage areas that need just a little easing. It's a good thing, because that dual feed hates sewing over a pin LOL.

On the Singers, I pin rather more. They don't care if you sew over a pin although every now and then I forget to take them out, hit one dead on and the needle breaks.

romanojg 03-27-2013 04:19 AM

It depends on what I'm sewing. If there are seams that but up to each other and I want them to be spot on, I pin. If its a fabric or a seam that may need pins to stay put, I pin. You aren't supposed to go over any pins and some machines are worse than others about it. I had a teacher once who said to put your pins in at an angle and you'll never break a needle on them. I try that (except for butting seams) or try to put the pins down far away enough from the seam allowance but close enough to do the job.

Sucia 03-27-2013 04:26 AM

I usually only pin for intersections and long pieces where edges might slip apart. I do pin to mark what goes with what. After 2 strokes I am easily confused. What did you ask?:D

EllieGirl 03-27-2013 05:02 AM

It all depends upon the length. If it's long I usually pin about every 4" because that's what I feel most comfortable with.

auntpiggylpn 03-27-2013 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5957293)
I pin just like Cabbage patch, long seams like borders, where seams intersect and need to match, curves I pin alot, and anytime I need to ease in I pin.

Works for me!

Louise Houghtaling 03-27-2013 05:05 AM

I only pin where matching is important and NEVER go over pins. My dealer told me that I could mess up the timing on my machine if a pin was hit. Whether that is true or not, it made me much more careful....just in case!