Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Much Do You Spend on Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-do-you-spend-fabric-t89177.html)

quilt-fanatic 01-10-2011 01:22 AM

Just curious but about how much do you spend on fabric per month? I'm just starting to build my stash and realize I haven't been aggressive enough as I only spend an average of $30-40 per month. Judging from some of the pictures, I'm waaay behind.

luvTooQuilt 01-10-2011 01:27 AM

Depends on what Ive got going on each month and what sales I find.. If there is a great clearance or sale I stock up.. I'm known to spent 100-300. but if its a slow month like this month -I tend to spend not so much..

However to date, Ive spent to date aprox $45..But it was on bolts of Christmas fabric that was 70% off So I bought the yardage that was left on each of them..

patricej 01-10-2011 01:39 AM

i don't dare calculate the monthly average of my stash spending. i'm sure it would put me into a shock-induced coma. :shock:

when i look at my stash - which literally lines 3 walls, floor to nearly-ceiling, i'm not proud of it. i wish i had the cash invested in just those fabrics i like but will never live long enough to use. if i'd spent more wisely, i could have retired a few years ago. :lol:

it would be a huge mistake to pace your purchasing based on the habits of others. there's no such thing as a standard "right size" for a stash.

let your own needs and financial health be your guides. ;-)

Moonglow 01-10-2011 01:47 AM

Probably too much but hopefully my stash should see me through my retirement years.

lisalisa 01-10-2011 03:07 AM

A few dollars. Literally. They donate all of the left-overs from classes to our local thrift shop. They bundle them up and sell them for a dollar a bag. Often I find orphan blocks, fat quarters, pre-cuts. You name it. I never know what I'm going to find in those fun bags. I have a hard time spending too much money doing this because then it's like I bought the quilt. I'd much rather make them from someone else's "cast offs".

jodimarie 01-10-2011 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i don't dare calculate the monthly average of my stash spending. i'm sure it would put me into a shock-induced coma. :shock:

when i look at my stash - which literally lines 3 walls, floor to nearly-ceiling, i'm not proud of it. i wish i had the cash invested in just those fabrics i like but will never live long enough to use. if i'd spent more wisely, i could have retired a few years ago. :lol:

it would be a huge mistake to pace your purchasing based on the habits of others. there's no such thing as a standard "right size" for a stash.

let your own needs and financial health be your guides. ;-)

DITTO....word for word, exactly how i feel when I look at my ''collection'' but on the other hand, we could be ''collecting'' other things that are not going to be used/made into wonderful works of art , beautiful gifts or just plain everyday useable quilts!!

jodi in leavenworth

mic-pa 01-10-2011 03:30 AM

I no longer try to build up a stash, in fact I am making scrappy quilts to use up my left over material from other projects. I am useing some of Bonnie Hunters patterns from her on line site. www.quiltville.com. and enjoying every minute of it. There is always new fabric arriving and if I have a project in mind I want to have the latest fabric out there. I started the year already having made two of her Bricks and Stepping Stones pattern.

sewTinker 01-10-2011 03:42 AM

My daughter is visiting me and just last night finished re-folding and organizing most of my fabric (the 1/2-yard & fat quarter case). It's amazing how much I have. Not three walls worth (lol...) but more than I am comfortable with. I get nervous with too much fabric and it becomes worrisome for me.

JenniePenny 01-10-2011 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
I'm just starting to build my stash and realize I haven't been aggressive enough as I only spend an average of $30-40 per month.

Geez, don't worry about being aggressive enough. Even 30 - 40 per month gets you the fabric you want, right?
It's fool-hardy to keep up with the Jones'.

There's no race. Sometimes big fabric collections are built over MANY years.

Me, I'd rather put the extra money in the bank.

earlylace 01-10-2011 04:28 AM

when I get out usually about $60 and I also buy from this quilting board nice stuff sold here too!