Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-buy-t183386.html)

YC Quilter 03-19-2012 03:30 PM

How much fabric do you buy?

I was in my LQS this past weekend and saw a fabric line that I really love. There was a display quilt made with that line and a free pattern for it. I wasn't crazy about the pattern, but don't have one in mind either. How much of each fabric would be a safe amount to buy now and use later for a lap size quilt? Or is this too vague a question?

mcdaniel023 03-19-2012 03:38 PM

I usually buy three yards. That way I have some for blocks and some for a border.

MadQuilter 03-19-2012 03:44 PM

1 yard if I like it (or if it's a coordinate), 2 yards if I love it (and if it's a feature fabric), 3 yards if I want to use it in borders, 5 yards if I want to use it as backing. 7 yards if I really really can't live without it. Based on that, I am now getting Fat Quarters because that's all I have room for any more.

maryb119 03-19-2012 04:16 PM

3 to 5 yards is what I usually buy. Then I have enough fabric....for what ever I decided to do with it.

Lori S 03-19-2012 05:03 PM

I can't say that I ever bought 5 yards of any specific fabric for quilting. Three yards has always been my upper end of any single yardage. For a lap quilt , I would think 1 1/2 yards of any single fabric would more than have you "covered" . This assumes you would be incorperating a few other fabrics.

QuiltnLady1 03-19-2012 05:44 PM

A lot would depend on how big a quilt you plan to make. I make 2 yards my minimum since I am always running out when I buy anything less. For full size quilts, I buy 3 1/2 yards so I can do borders without piecing them.

I have been known to buy up to 6 yards if I love it -- more if it is going to be a back.

ging10ging 03-19-2012 05:49 PM

I always buy more than the pattern says so I don't run out and also if a mistake is made. I will usually buy 2 yds especially if I like it. It's better to have extra than not enough. Sue

gayle bong 03-19-2012 06:02 PM

How many of EACH fabric would I buy? Wow. I walk in to a shop and tell the clerk I'll take a yard of everything.
I'd say your question IS a little vague. You didn't say how many different fabrics in the line or how many the shop has anyways.
If you are planning a lap size, it would help if we knew what size that is for you. Some like 'em bigger than others. 60" x 72" more or less? That would be about 3 yards if it were one piece of fabric. So, I'd figure about 4 yards total for the front. Plus 1/2 yard for binding. Plus extra cause you don't want to run out and extra of your favorites of course. Did you want a matching back. Then 4 yards for that.
Sorry, I guess I am not much help. Sure is fun spending your money though.

Painiacs 03-19-2012 06:46 PM

I buy 2 yards. I recently did that then. Found a pattern and had exactly what i needed!!

Sunnye 03-20-2012 02:48 AM

I buy three yards if I'm not sure what I'm going to do qwith it.