Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you purchase? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-purchase-t7040.html)

DreamXer 05-14-2008 03:53 PM

Fabric is expensive here (about $14 a metre), so I wait unless I really need it :wink: or will use it for a certain project or see it's going out of stock . We have a 6" square trade at our guild and I usually buy 2 metres for that locally then end up with at least 1m for my stash. Otherwise I buy single metres/yards and fat quarters on ebay and through online shops (less expensive).
I have purchased A LOT (3m+ or the bolt ) of a fabric I love at our local shops - but only on sale.

QuiltinLee 05-14-2008 05:13 PM

When I first started quilting, I was buying 1 yard (listened to Alex Anderson about stashes). I was soooo pleased with myself that I had this large stash. Then, every project that I wanted to do called for 4-6 yards of one color :cry: Well, then I had to go out and buy more material :roll: so that I could make my project. (Okay, I admit it wasn't like going to the dentist going to the fabric store, however......)

Now, I just try to get at least 4 yards of any material that I really like so that when I go to make a quilt (usually queen or double), I have enough material.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, build your stash with what you normally need for a project. That way you aren't disappointed that you don't have enough of that special fabric that would look just right with that special pattern that you found.

DA Mayer 05-14-2008 05:22 PM

I usually stick to sales fabric or going out of business. I usually buy 1-2 yards and if I think something will make a good backing I buy 5-6 yards. Had a bolt of fabric once from my sister and never could find a use for it. gave it to someone who could use it. I do buy fat quarters if I like the material. Hard time getting out of a fabric store without pickiing up something. We have so many nice fabric stores around here. Each one has a different feel. Love them all.

retrogirl02 05-15-2008 06:53 AM

Wow. I haven't spent that much for a yard of fabric but I do prefer the quilt shops, so I do spend a little more for my treats. I tend to buy 1/4-1/2 yard of fabric but if I really fall for it, I have no problem ordering 5 yards.

littlehud 05-15-2008 01:19 PM

If I see something I really like and the price isn't terrible (19.98 a yard) I buy 4 or 5 yards. If it's too expensive I wait for it to go on sale. I learned my lesson when I bought 3 yards of a material I fell in love with and when I found the perfect quilt pattern for it I needed 4 yards. Of course it was sold out so I had to punt and change the pattern. Oh well, we live and learn.

JUNEC 02-02-2010 10:35 AM

Does anyone have the same problem that I do, all colors and sizes of fabric in my stash but nothing enough to make a quilt

Elisabrat 02-02-2010 10:43 AM

I buy small bits unless I have a known project in mind. Its about $10-12 yrd so I wait til I KNOW I am making something .. currently I have a bunch of stash but not much quilting fabric. Waiting for the perfect pattern I suppose.

Jingle 02-02-2010 11:33 AM

I buy 5-8 yards,usually lean toward 8 Yd.s. If I am making a scrappy I have remants and leftover pieces I use for those. I usually buy for matchy matchy and want to have enough for main pieces and I usually buy for background and backings too. White and off white I may buy 10 yd.s, if there is enough on the bolt. I hate to plan a certain quilt and find I don't have enough or don't have enough colors to go with it.

Boston1954 02-02-2010 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Does anyone have the same problem that I do, all colors and sizes of fabric in my stash but nothing enough to make a quilt

I used to. When I first started quilting, I would get a quarter. I have lots of variety but not much of any one thing. At least that is how it was up until last year. I started getting two yards. I am a much happier quilter now.

BellaBoo 02-02-2010 11:51 AM

For backing I buy at least 7 yards. Most other fabrics I buy 3 yards of something I like. I buy 1 yard if the fabric is so bright and showy it has to be for accent color. If I find a great sale then it's 5 yards of colors I know will be blenders/borders for other quilts.