Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-t222693.html)

Sue1765 05-31-2013 01:50 PM

How much fabric?

If you are buying fabric without a project in mind, how many yards would you buy? Thanks for any guidance.

sue

Queen 05-31-2013 02:12 PM

I have ordered up to 9 yards of fabric I just love. I think I average more like 3 to 5 yards. Mary

Tartan 05-31-2013 02:16 PM

​What size quilts do you make? I like to get at least 2-3 yards so I can have enough length to do borders in one piece.

omacookie 05-31-2013 02:19 PM

I watch for sales at the quilt shop then buy 3-5 yards to use as backing. Also watch for sales on fat quarters. It is a good way to get the colors that you seldom use. If you are a scrappy quilter the go to a quilt shop that has bags od scraps for a given price.... Hugs

ckcowl 05-31-2013 03:39 PM

it depends on the individual fabric- if I look at it and believe I could use it in dozens of projects I may buy a lot of it- 5+ yards- if I like it but really don't have any idea what I might ever do with it I may buy a fat quarter- or half a yard. if it is a good background/blender fabric I might get 2 or 3 yards. if it would make wonderful borders I get amounts in 3's...3, 6, 9 yards--because I make a lot of queen sized quilts and might need 108" of border (3yds)- that way I don't have to piece my borders. and it just depends on if I envision it being used in one quilt or dozens of quilts

bigsister63 05-31-2013 04:07 PM

I would buy 1 yd - 1 1/5 yds. I have some really pretty fabric with lots for borders and focus fabric. But BOOHOO I only have 1/2 yds pieces of corrdinating fabric which I think is not enough to do much with. Also since the fabric is several years old it may be hard to math other coordinating fabric. Better to have too much then not enough! This is also true if your bought fabric in a LQS far away!(ask me how I know this!)

nygal 05-31-2013 04:15 PM

If I just want to "own some" of it I buy a half a yard. If I "like" it I buy a yard and a half. If I LOVE it I buy at least 3yds.

quilttiger 05-31-2013 05:41 PM

When it comes to blenders or tone on tone fabric, it makes sense to buy more of them than it does to buy a specific print. Blenders and tone on tone can be used in several projects. If I am looking for backing fabric, I would buy enough for a large lap quilt, like about 4 to 5 yards. I seldom buy prints now unless it is for a specific project or a quilt of valor.

pumpkinpatchquilter 05-31-2013 06:05 PM

I usually have something in mind when I buy my fabric...either it's for piecing or for backing. For piecing I buy 1/4-1 yard depending on the fabric. Neutrals I need ALWAYS, so I buy in larger amounts. Bolds, brights, novelties, I buy just a little. If I think it'll make a good backing I try to buy 2-5 yards at a time. :) I have been quilting for about 8 years and this is what seems to work for me! :)

jcrow 05-31-2013 06:40 PM

I always buy 2 yards and 1 yard so I can do sashing and a border. I probably should get 3 yards and 2 yards, but am too cheap. I usually buy fat quarter bundles or layer cakes or jelly rolls to go with the fabric so I can make a quilt. It's all the same fabric line.