Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric to use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-use-t94855.html)

traveling2dals 01-28-2011 09:26 PM

I never buy enough fabric and have to go back and try to find the same one. Whats an easy way to figure out how much you need for your quilt?

bjnicholson 01-28-2011 09:27 PM

I would like that answer too!

DebraK 01-28-2011 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
I would like that answer too!

so much of the answer to this question depends on the project. Your questions would have to be more specific as to size and pattern. That probably doesn't feel very helpful. I would suggest having 5 yards of fabric as a minimum for a small quilt. Small as in child's quilt.

frugalfabrics 01-28-2011 09:44 PM

When I make a full size quilt, I always plan on having 3-1/2 to 4yds for the backing of the quilt.

As far as for the front, it really depends on the pattern

LindaM 01-28-2011 09:44 PM

I'm confused - you have a pattern before you buy the fabric?? Hardly ever works that way for me!!! :lol:

Recently, I'm tending towards quilts with bigger pieces - am starting to begrudge all the fabric in the seams (think of log cabin - you end up with almost 1/3 of your fabric in the seams).

I seem to put together quilts that use five colours most often. When I find a run of fabric that I want to put together, and don't know the exact pattern, I usually get 2 or 3 meters of each. This would also explain the current state of the stash.

About the only way I get anywhere close to having the right amount of fabric for the pattern, is when I see a sample at my LQS, and they have a kit, or buy the pattern and have the fabric requirements right there. But I still but a bit more than the pattern calls for ... even though I measure twice (or thrice!) and cut once, I still do silly things.

traveling2dals 01-28-2011 09:45 PM

To DebraK- Let say i have 180 squares at 5 inches and 4 different colors to buy. I think thats 60x60. My own pattern, just blocks.

frugalfabrics 01-28-2011 09:50 PM

I usually don't use patterns, but I just make sure I have certain quantities of colors when I quilt.

DebraK 01-28-2011 09:57 PM

argh. I can't do that math right off, right now, and this question is much different than your first. I was speaking in general terms. Sorry if I'm letting you down.

AudreyB 01-28-2011 10:11 PM

I figure what I need then double it. Having left overs for my stash is a bonus!

C.Cal Quilt Girl 01-28-2011 10:20 PM

You mean they make patterns with real directions and correct fabric amounts ???
What a thought LOL could also explain this stash and why one day will be nothin but scrappies for me :) that's OK like those too.
Sorry didn't anwser your Q, or maybe the anwser is 2-4 yds. of what ever tickles my fancy. OK that could explain the stash also... so does this make me a stasher or a Quilter? Hummm :)