Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much for a Featherweight? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-featherweight-t152195.html)

valleyquiltermo 09-11-2011 05:55 PM

I haven't paid more then $250.00 for my white w/ green tint and they are all with a green tint to them, I have 5 of them. 3 for my 3 Great Nieces and one for me and one for my Granddaughter.I do like my 1955 221 black one and my 1957 222 black one better then the white/green ones.
Didn't pay more then $250 for the 221 1955, but paid a good some for the 222 1957, but not as much as I'd paid from here, mine came from England.
Good luck

valleyquiltermo 09-11-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by stichinluvr
I've been looking and I can get one of the new Featherweights for about $250. They have lots of additional perks and feet so I think that's what I'll get.

Thanks to all of you that responded. I really appreciate it.

They are not as good as the ones that singer made.

jlm5419 09-11-2011 06:48 PM

Yes, it seems too expensive to me. I realize the white ones are a little more expensive, but I've paid less than $200 for my black ones. And frankly, I'm not impressed by the white ones because they don't have the decals like the black ones.

IT all comes down to, what is it worth to YOU?

MoMiMi 09-11-2011 07:34 PM

One day I'll have a Featherweight, but will wait until I'm plush !!!!! Yea......sure.

soccertxi 09-11-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo

Originally Posted by stichinluvr
I've been looking and I can get one of the new Featherweights for about $250. They have lots of additional perks and feet so I think that's what I'll get.

Thanks to all of you that responded. I really appreciate it.

They are not as good as the ones that singer made.

I will second this. The older Featherweights are work horses. You can service them yourself. All the moving parts are metal. The new ones are plastic. i would suggest sewing on BOTH before you decide.

SunlitenSmiles 09-12-2011 02:38 AM

it looks in excellent condition.....if i found one like that here in that condition at that price i would buy it with my grocery money and eat oatmeal for dinner next month LOL really hope to find one like that some day.

redmadder 09-12-2011 02:47 AM

I paid $300.00 for a replica FW. What a piece of junk. It rattled like a tin lizzie and the thread tension actually fell out of the machine. The stitch length had a mind of its own. Had my brother sell it for $60.00 at the flea market. Guess they can make the parts but just can't match the craftsmanship of the original well trained makers. Oh, I bought it a sewing repair shop! The guy said he would keep working on it till it was perfect. Grrrr.......

Debbie C 09-12-2011 02:49 AM

if you do decide to buy it (and IMHO, that's a hefty price for it) I must telll you that my local sewing machine repairman tells me that it's been his experience for many years that the white fw's aren't as well made as the black ones. I'd still love to find one for myself, but I'd make darn sure it ran perfectly for that amount of cash - best of luck in your decision!

A1penny 09-12-2011 06:33 AM

Weren't the white ones make in England? That is what a friend told me, and she owned one....... but I really don't know.

My friend's was always breaking down, but she loved it because it had been her mother's machine.

The new copies are just junk!

jaciqltznok 09-12-2011 06:49 AM

depends on the demand in your general area...but the white ones do go for more money than the black!