Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much to get machine cleaned (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-get-machine-cleaned-t117655.html)

dltaylor 04-20-2011 08:26 PM

How much would you pay to have your Featherweight 221 cleaned and turned?? I just purchased one and I want to have it turned before I use it. I called the shop and they want $100.00 to clean and tune is that the average price??

CoyoteQuilts 04-20-2011 08:45 PM

Around here it is probably average. Computerized ones are about 179 to 200 each, depending on the company.....

VickyS 04-20-2011 08:49 PM

I just paid $90 for a cleaning of my 221 Featherweight. That from my repair guy that I've used for the past 25 years!

OUCH - but his records said it's been 5 years since I had one done and I had made something like 8 quilts in the last 6 months on it so it was worth it to get it going again.

justflyingin 04-20-2011 09:05 PM

How often do you all get them professionally cleaned?

If nothing is wrong, and you periodically take it apart underneath and clean out the lint and oil everything, how often do you need to have it done professionally if nothing is wrong?

VickyS 04-20-2011 09:26 PM

Only when it starts acting up. Sometimes that can be 2 months, other times 5+ years. Just depends on how much you are using the machine and what types of things you are sewing.

Do you oil and lube regularly? If so, it will be a lot longer between servicing. Do your machine wires look good (nothing old starting to break)? Does your machine gobble up thread in the bobbin or break needles constantly?

Are you using very linty materials (ie fleece and flannel) or very heavy materials (ie canvas and denim)? Those may cause problems with the tension, especially if you are jumping back and forth between cottons and these materials.

My mechanic says every 6 months or so. I do it only when I REALLY NEED TO - at $90 a pop, it just isn't always affordable.

Reality standpoint - the machine is VERY DEPENDABLE, so I do it when I need to or if I know I have a very important project upcoming where I CAN'T afford to have a breakdown in the middle of the project.

lovequilts 04-20-2011 09:42 PM

Check out this site. I just took a class from them last Saturday on cleaning and oil/lubeing your featherweight. the book they sell is excellent

www.featherweight221.com

This is the sweetest couple. you can do it in about an hour yourself. very easy. they also have replacement items if needed. I had to get a new belt.

Blessings,

Lovequilts

SEW 04-21-2011 02:01 AM

I paid $125.00 to have my featherweight cleaned and tuned up.

mimom 04-21-2011 04:26 AM

I have a non computerized kenmore from my mother, she bought it about 20 years ago and I just got my baby back yesterday and paid 54.50.

AUQuilter 04-21-2011 04:34 AM

I have a 25 year old Elna that was just dropped off for a cleaning. When I picked it up, the repairman asked if I had ever even used the machine. He couldn't do much to it- $55 to verify that I had taken good care of her. A drop of oil per the manual and the lint brushed off.

sewwhat85 04-21-2011 07:40 PM

it would be about 65 here if no parts are needed