Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Much is a Quilt Worth? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-quilt-worth-t84049.html)

Lneal 12-20-2010 05:30 AM

That's my question. A friend wants me to make a king size bed quilt and doesn't care about the cost. I have estimated the pattern, quilt shop quality material, supplies, ect. and after adding my labor I am astounded at the price! Approx $800.00. I just checked on-line for king size quilts at department stores and she could buy one much cheaper.
So how much is a handmade king size quilt worth? I would love to hear what you think.

leatheflea 12-20-2010 05:36 AM

Cant wait to here the responses for this one. I was asked to make one this past week and turned down it down due to I thought the price would be to high for them. People dont understand the time involved.

ameriguat 12-20-2010 05:39 AM

I've seen some Kings sell for $1200.

I know for myself that to MAKE a queen costs me about $200, and it takes me awhile to do so, but you can find them online for a lot cheaper but I think when you make it, it lasts longer as well. (and its personal to your style)

ktbb 12-20-2010 05:41 AM

a quilt is worth what a person is willing to pay...that sounds trite, but it's true. If your friend asked you to make it no matter the price, check with her to see if she's willing to pay the 800 (show her the pattern, explain the pricing, etc.) and if so, go for it. For many people, the cost of having a handmade/custom quilt is worth it.

Lneal 12-20-2010 05:46 AM

The problem is me :D She picked out the pattern, told me both husband and herself decided they wanted me to make the quilt. The cost is not an issue, so I am assuming it is the choice for handmade. But why do I feel so guilty about charging this much?
I use top quality material and they are willing to pay the price. Maybe I will feel better once I have given them the estimate and find out their reaction. Which I am sure it will be to make the quilt :D :D

Thumbelina 12-20-2010 05:47 AM

I used to work in a quilt shop and we were told to charge 3x's the cost of the fabrics. Hope this helps you out. I know this can be daunting. You don't want to scare anyone with your fees, but you don't want to under charge. Your time and talents are worth something.

ameriguat 12-20-2010 05:47 AM

I don't think $800 is bad....worst case senario, tell her to buy the fabric and materials then charge her a fee to make it :)

MZStitch 12-20-2010 05:48 AM

Look online for an Amish quilt, they would sell a king size quilt for that price, minimum. I agree with Ktbb, a quilt is worth what someone is willing to pay, and you should discuss with your friend why you are estimating that price, and I'm sure she will understand. She may not be able to pay it, but she will understand why it is that price! I just bought batikis for a storm at sea with a paper pieced border, the fabric for the quilt top and bottom was over $330. That doesn't include batting or thread!

ktbb 12-20-2010 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Thumbelina
I used to work in a quilt shop and we were told to charge 3x's the cost of the fabrics. Hope this helps you out. I know this can be daunting. You don't want to scare anyone with your fees, but you don't want to under charge. Your time and talents are worth something.

3 time supplies is the rule of thumb for artists to charge for their work, and quilters are artists as well.

MZStitch 12-20-2010 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by ameriguat
I don't think $800 is bad....worst case senario, tell her to buy the fabric and materials then charge her a fee to make it :)

I like this idea alot! You could make a day of it at a quilt shop together helping her pick her fabrics!