Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much quilting is too much? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-quilting-too-much-t279401.html)

ScubaK 06-07-2016 11:43 PM

How much quilting is too much?

How do you determine that quilting is too much on a quilt? I have seen some that the quilting overtakes the piecing...the quilting is making the quilt stiff.
I have seen where the quilting takes OVER the quilt and almost becomes the quilt instead of the piecing of the blocks or quilt.
What is too much and where do you draw the line?
Curious minds want to know.
Kirsten

ManiacQuilter2 06-08-2016 01:32 AM

It is all a matter of the opinion of the quilter. I have always enjoyed the look of hand quilting when I machine quilt o my Bernina. I want the pieced quilt to be what catches the eye.

Vicki1212 06-08-2016 01:35 AM

I like quilts to be soft and snugly and in my opinion, when a quilt starts feeling hard and the quilting affects the drape then it's been over quilted. I love beautiful, intricate quilting but for me, function is more important.

Tartan 06-08-2016 03:31 AM

​I do like to be able to see the piecing if the pattern is interesting. If the piecing is kind of boring, then super quilting can make the quilt.

redstilettos 06-08-2016 04:00 AM

I agree with Tartan. I like to see the piecing, but with a less intricate quilt top, the more intricate quilting can really make an otherwise boring quilt pop :)

hcarpanini 06-08-2016 04:18 AM

It depends what the quilt is being used for. Less quilting makes it soft and snugly. Medium quilting is more decorative, say for a bed cover. Intense would put you in the custom and show catagory.

PaperPrincess 06-08-2016 04:19 AM

The question is: How much quilting is too much, FOR YOU. Quilting density is in the eye of the beholder. A finished quilt may have not enough quilting for some folks, too much for others and just enough for the maker. The quilting community is made up of folks with different tastes, so for your quilts, just add enough for you, and if you are having your quilts quilted, make sure you convey this info to the quilter. Just remember to read the label on the batting package and follow the manufacturer's instructions for the minimum required.

Mimi Sews 06-08-2016 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by hcarpanini (Post 7571821)
It depends what the quilt is being used for. Less quilting makes it soft and snuggly. Medium quilting is more decorative, say for a bed cover. Intense would put you in the custom and show category.

Ditto! I was going to say the same thing.

Bree123 06-08-2016 04:44 AM

It is not typical for people to wash quilts before entering them into shows and densely quilted quilts are stiff straight off the machine. Once washed, the only thing that determines whether a quilt will be stiff or not is the batting itself. Quilts with quality high loft batting like Warm & Plush and cotton thread quickly soften up after a couple of washes even when quilted at 1/2".

For me, there's no such thing as too much quilting, only not enough. I want my quilts to last so I now always quilt no farther than 2" apart & prefer 1/2-1" spacing, but even 1/4" quilting lines I think look good when done properly. When you are quilting that close together, it's generally for one of 3 purposes -- either to add texture to the quilt (using a matching or 1 shade greyer thread) or to make the sections around it pop (faux trapunto) or to add color by using a specific color of thread (typically an art quilt). It really just depends on what look you're going for.

That said, yes there are densely quilted quilts that do not look attractive, in my opinion. By the same measure, there are also quilts with less quilting that are equally unattractive. It really just depends, for me, on the design of the quilting itself. It should not compete with the piecing or applique work.

sprice 06-08-2016 05:01 AM

Certainly, the amount of quilting is personal preference. For me, I have done some dense machine quilting and felt it made the quilt less cuddly--more like a pad which I wasn't happy with. Washing will soften it up, but I prefer a softer feel.