Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much should I charge for this quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-should-i-charge-quilt-t207083.html)

Charming 11-27-2012 01:17 PM

How much should I charge for this quilt?

Here is the link of an advent calendar which I am asked to make and using all Moda fabrics. How much do you think I should charge? The finished size is 37"x53"

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/12/...kets.html#more

Thanks for any feedback

117becca 11-27-2012 01:38 PM

i usually start w/ how many hours it is going to take me to do and the difficulty in the project. That looks like that could be a time consuming project.

Charming 11-27-2012 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca (Post 5683836)
i usually start w/ how many hours it is going to take me to do and the difficulty in the project. That looks like that could be a time consuming project.

Since I have to give a price before I start do you think $250 would be too much? If I am using the regular price of moda used in it it would be around I guess $110 with ric rac and heat and bond...etc. a lot of people multiply by 3 to give a price but I am lowering since it is for a friend. Does this math sound good to you?

bearisgray 11-27-2012 01:53 PM

Looks like it would take quite a while - I'd ask at least $500 - plus cost of materials - because I wouldn't want to make it.

Who asked you to make it? Friend - co-worker - relative - acquaintance?

Read all the other posts about people not getting paid - or the requester reneging -

Get the materials paid for and a deposit upfront before doing a thing. And then get the agreement in writing - and signed.

This looks like something I MIGHT consider making for myself -

ETA: Your post went up while I was typing.

Making things for friends can end up being stressful - in many ways -

Why should one make something for a friend (that is not a gift) for any less than one would ask a stranger to pay?

As far as that goes, why would a friend - especially a friend - ask one to make something for less than she/he would pay a stranger?

ETA:ETA: Why do people tend to not value our expertise? If we were carpenters, plumbers, or electiricians, people hardly bat an eye at paying $50 to $100 per hour for labor. Most of us also have tools, skills, education and training - we may not have certificates or licenses, but we still had to learn and practice.

117becca 11-27-2012 02:28 PM

I always price stuff materials plus labor. You can always pick cheaper materials. I will also consider who is asking - friend, family, relative, co-worker....I also enjoy doing this stuff, so if I can put something together for someone else, I get a "fix" and win w/out spending any of my own money. Then I make a few extra bucks to fund my next "fix"

Wow, that sounds like I'm some drug addict!! :) LOL!!

PaperPrincess 11-27-2012 02:30 PM

Or maybe let her buy the materials and then charge $150-200 to put it together??? This way she understands that it's not an inexpensive proposition, and it's her money tied up in the materials.

Silver Needle 11-27-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5683931)
Or maybe let her buy the materials and then charge $150-200 to put it together??? This way she understands that it's not an inexpensive proposition, and it's her money tied up in the materials.

I always think its a good idea to get them invested in the project whether its just by paying for materials or helping pick out the materials or even working together on the layout.

Dolphyngyrl 11-27-2012 08:06 PM

I would have her buy materials and get half of a deposit up front. I would charge at least 300 to make the top if you are quilting more

bearisgray 11-29-2012 07:31 AM

People that don't make quilts often have no idea of what is actually involved in the making of one - either in cost of materials or time and effort making it.

I think they base their idea of what it might cost on 'store-bought' items - and think someone 'can make it for less'

It's a good idea to have a discussion ahead of time and avoid sticker shock later.

carolaug 04-01-2013 02:52 PM

I went to a consignment shop in a few towns over. A woman there has had her quilts for sale and they are beautiful! Never used...Hard designs...and only 125.00 to 235.00 they do not seem to be selling. I did not check the size but my guess would be queen. Sadly it does not seem people want to pay for quality work. So many people claim they get a lot of money for quilts. I wonder how many do really...