Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much thread does it take? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-thread-does-take-t71358.html)

quiltnmom 10-20-2010 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished the sailboat quilt top for my grandson. Because of my beginner miscalcultions it is smaller than I anticipated. I was going for a twin size but it measures about 54x76 which I figure is about 10 inches shy on all sides to be a twin. The picture below is pretty fuzzy. I am considering attempting my first try at free motion quilting. I want to use the Sulky Blendables in the Primary Colors 500 yd spool for the top and probably a plain white in the bobbin.

FINALLY the question: How much of the Sulky thread should it take using the blendables on the top only?

Sailboat quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99736[/ATTACH]

Jingle 10-20-2010 05:56 PM

I have no idea. I do FMQ almost always, I never worry about how much I will need. Do the center using the sulky and use regular thread to match the border fabrics, if you are afraid you may run out.

littlehud 10-20-2010 05:57 PM

My thread comes in 1200yard spools and I use most of one for the bobbin and quilting when doing a queen size quilt.

RST 10-20-2010 06:00 PM

There is no way to answer your question -- free motion quilting can mean a meander that's 6 inches apart, or it can be practically thread painting. The amount of thread you use depends entirely on how you quilt it.

RST

quiltnmom 10-20-2010 06:05 PM

Thanks Patti. I hate to sound overly frugal but Sulky isn't exactly cheap and I didn't want to buy ten 500 yd spools of thread at $6 a piece and have 8 leftover. I guess I could return them but that's such a hassle. I also didn't want to be in the middle and have to go get 20 more.

deema 10-20-2010 06:10 PM

You can add another border or two to make up the measurements...maybe a thinner border in the white of the sails and another bigger one in the yellow from the sashing, or maybe one of the boat colours...? Just a thought.

Anyhow, I have no idea about the thread, but that is a super cute quilt!

bearisgray 10-20-2010 06:46 PM

54 x 76 is a perfect "couch size" quilt. Big enough to cover one (most folks, anyway) and small enough to not drag on the floor.

Spydee 10-20-2010 06:56 PM

This is a very cute quilt.

Now on to the how much thread question....

I do a lot of quilts in this size range and it typically takes me 1 -2 spools of King Tut (500 yards / #40/3), but I almost always use the same thread in the top and bottom. In addition, most of the quilting is free motion that is 1-2 inches a part.

In your case I would go with 2 spools to be on the safe side and to allow for practice and design changes.

np3 10-20-2010 08:02 PM

Cute quilt! It really depends on how you quilt it.

ckcowl 10-21-2010 05:18 AM

if you are using a different thread in the bobbin then you should have plenty if you buy 2 500 yard spools for the top. that will give you plenty even if you find you are heavily quilting it.