Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much will I spend this year on fabric and supplies? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-will-i-spend-year-fabric-supplies-t174779.html)

angelahen 01-07-2012 09:16 AM

How much will I spend this year on fabric and supplies?

I have just read another thread and it got me thinking. I have today bought my first thing related to sewing this year. How about we keep a log of what we spend and tally it up at the end of the year? Also it would be good to see what we bought and what we used - or not as the case may be. My DH kept a record of the costs he incurred on the last bicycle he did up, it was really interesting.

Any one up for the challenge?

LindaM 01-07-2012 09:19 AM

Absolutely never ... I'm in complete denial :) Have no desire to put a value on this hobby that makes me so happy.

But I have made a 2012 'resolution' to reduce my stash! A 50-50-50 resolution - 50 yards, 50 pounds, 50 weeks.

auntpiggylpn 01-07-2012 09:25 AM

Yep, complete denial! If I write it down, then I have to acknowledge what I spend and I'm not ready to do that yet. . . or ever!!!

pinkberrykay 01-07-2012 09:26 AM

I really don't care how much I spend. I love quilting so I will never been a monetary value on it. Plus, I am a new quilter and still buying things.:thumbup:

Katia 01-07-2012 09:49 AM

Plausible deniability. If I don't keep track I will always have that. LOL

Actually I used to save all my receipts. In case I decided to start a sewing business and needed them for taxes But they just took up a lot of space. The way I look at it is that the fabric I buy today is an investment. Someday I might not be able to afford to buy any and I will still have lots to play with.

angelahen 01-07-2012 10:12 AM

Oh I don't think it will stop me one bit!

QuiltnNan 01-07-2012 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Katia (Post 4851478)
... The way I look at it is that the fabric I buy today is an investment. Someday I might not be able to afford to buy any and I will still have lots to play with.

This is what happened to me. I took early retirment/social security. I can only afford to continue quilting since I have a huge supply on hand. You just never know :)

BellaBoo 01-07-2012 10:37 AM

Buying stash/books/tool/quilt show tickets/travel/shop hops/classes is a staple for me, like groceries. Two kids that were in college the same time plus one medical school and one law school that DH an I paid all costs for, so I know I can spend what one tuition cost per year and still be saving money. Life after kids are raised is really grand.

MaryMo 01-07-2012 10:38 AM

"But I have made a 2012 'resolution' to reduce my stash! A 50-50-50 resolution - 50 yards, 50 pounds, 50 weeks."

Love this challenge .... only the first week of the year, so I've got time to join, right?

Fraew 01-07-2012 10:40 AM

Keep track of how much I spend? Heavens NO!! I already have a UFO list making me feel guilty enough.

But, I have successfully shopped my stash for over a year now, only purchasing fabric to finish stuff. Gizmos and gadgets are my current weaknesses...I mean learning new techniques that require new gizmos and gadgets is practicing my craft. Whew...turned that around. :)