Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much would you charge to make this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-would-you-charge-make-t49021.html)

hcarpanini 06-09-2010 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A lady brought me this quilt pattern/kit and asked how much to make it. I would also do the quilting, but I can figure that part out. How much would you charge to make this? It is around 80x90.

Jim's Gem 06-09-2010 01:01 PM

It's beautiful.
It would depend on the amount of time that you think it would take you. Are the leaves all appliqued or just the geese. Applique would take more time (at least it would for me)
How skilled are you at curved seams, if they are not trouble... but if they are not a strong suit of yours, that's more added time to work those in.
I guess I'm not much help, am I?

HeatherQuilts 06-09-2010 01:02 PM

Sorry I have no idea how much I would charge, I just wanted to say what a beautiful pattern it is!!

hcarpanini 06-09-2010 01:02 PM

The only applique is the geese. I have made many drunkards paths so I am comfortable with curved piecing.

ktbb 06-09-2010 01:05 PM

This is information I got a couple of years ago for pricing custom quilts. It might work for you.

Basic price for custom quilts is $15/square foot of finished quilt. This cost includes fabric, preparation, piecing, quilting and finishing. Price can vary depending on complexity of block pattern, preparation time, complexity of quilting, etc. Price can also vary (decrease) if customer provides own fabric.

marsye 06-09-2010 01:05 PM

I don't have a clue but its gorgeous!!!

amma 06-09-2010 01:09 PM

Are you going to do raw edge applique, or turned? Simple quilting or more complex designs? Hand or machine quilting... There are so many factors to determine the cost of making such a beautiful and large quilt :D:D:D

quiltilicious 06-09-2010 01:12 PM

is it a kit? Did she supply ALL the materials? Do you have to supply the materials?

I charge (what I think is) high, but I am usually also designing something from scratch. But I also haven't done a commission quilt that required applique yet, which is labor intensive (although I have done paper piecing... also labor intensive).

it wouldn't be worth it to me to do it for less than 800 dollars, including the quilting (which I would have to subcontract to a LAQ). I think that everyone deserves a living wage.

quiltilicious 06-09-2010 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
This is information I got a couple of years ago for pricing custom quilts. It might work for you.

Basic price for custom quilts is $15/square foot of finished quilt. This cost includes fabric, preparation, piecing, quilting and finishing. Price can vary depending on complexity of block pattern, preparation time, complexity of quilting, etc. Price can also vary (decrease) if customer provides own fabric.

wow... my guesstimate isn't far off... this quilt is 50 square feet (just calculated it from the 80x90 dimensions given) and that comes out to 750.

And that doesn't include "custom design" fees, either. Hmmm...

weezie 06-09-2010 01:17 PM

Like everyone else who has responded, I have no idea, BUT if she brought you the kit and that includes everything you need to make the top except thread & machine needle(s), could you charge her by the hour ($$.00????) and keep track of the time you work on it? If that is an option and you and she can both agree on how much $ per hour, that would bring you up to the quilting part, the pricing of which you are already knowledgeable.

That would involve a certain amount of faith, of course, because she wouldn't be standing there clocking you as you work.

Since she bought the kit, as a precaution, it might be wise to get a contract signed ... an agreement that she does not get the finished quilt if she does not want to pay the bill when the quilt is completed.