Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Much Would You Charge per Block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-would-you-charge-per-block-t268722.html)

matraina 08-15-2015 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mme3924 (Post 7286906)
Ha! This is why I don't sew -- anything! -- for money, although I have and will make almost anything for someone as a favor. I made a dish draining pad just last night, showed it to my grandson, who said, "You know, Mema, you should get a website or something to sell this stuff you make." No, no and no! It would then be work and I'm retired. I understand those who do sew for money and more power to them, but I would hate it.

Long answer to say I have no idea what one would charge per block. Sorry!

Reminds me of when I made nut rolls at Christmas and gifted them to those I wanted to thank or surprise. Pretty soon, their friends and anyone else who saw them wanted to order some and pay for them. It was a compliment to me that they liked them so much and I agreed to make them. Pretty soon it wasn't fun; it was a chore and I stopped making them for others.

ClairVoyantQuilter 08-15-2015 08:20 AM

I wouldn't charge by the block, but rather by the Quilt. And frankly, who ever wants to buy it, likely can't afford it. I estimated my most recent quilt had a hundred hours in it. At a measly $10 an hour, that would come to $1000 (not counting the $200 in fabric! If I needed the money, I'd come out further ahead making chicken sandwiches at Chick Fil A.

I can't tell you how many people I encounter, who sell their quilts for just twice what they paid for materials . . .theyre making less than half minimum wage. It's high time quilters start realizing, their craft is valuable.

paoberle 08-15-2015 09:33 AM

Minimum $25 per square, not including materials then $0.02 per square inch for the quilting, unless a fancy quilting otters was wanted. Personally, I only make quilts that I give away. Once I am being paid it becomes a job and the fun and enjoyment is gone.

Garden Gnome 08-15-2015 11:20 AM

As my 8 year old grand daughter said, "You could have a good business making these and giving them to people."

Farm Quilter 08-15-2015 12:55 PM

PaperPrincess is right, but you would be charging less then the minimum wage in my state. Bugs me that people willingly pay $75+/hour for a plumber or electrician...and balk at paying $20/hour for an artist's work.

Bree123 08-15-2015 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter (Post 7287226)
PaperPrincess is right, but you would be charging less then the minimum wage in my state. Bugs me that people willingly pay $75+/hour for a plumber or electrician...and balk at paying $20/hour for an artist's work.

Bugs me even more when people will pay $50 for a 50-minute mani/pedi that lasts two weeks & expect to get an heirloom quality quilt for the same or less. Shoot, if I could charge $1/minute for my work...(totaling number in head)...