Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much yardage to buy on speculation? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-yardage-buy-speculation-t175680.html)

JaneH 01-15-2012 03:48 AM

How much yardage to buy on speculation?

Just wondered ... for all you folks with such lovely stash supplies -- when you see a great sale, how much do you buy just "for future use" (i.e. no specific project in mind)? I ran into a rare and great sale yesterday but had no idea how much to buy so left it for now, but want to go back and stock up a bit. If I find a fabric that really speaks to me, how much on average should I buy? I don't make full-size bed quilts (or haven't yet) so it would be for some projects like table runners, bed throws, placemats, baby quilts, etc. and I usually like to buy at least three different, but coordinating patterns.

whinnytoo 01-15-2012 03:56 AM

I always buy 3 yds minimum of each color and at times I still run short! If the sale is really good, I buy the entire bolt.

jodimarie 01-15-2012 04:03 AM

for a lot of color and pop in a quilt ( I do a lot of scrappy ) you can't go wrong with fat quarters. 4 will equal a yard ( maybe a few cents more than an uncut yard ) but you can really add a lot to your stash. Of course, you will also need a simpler ''quiet'' color to help tone down those wild and crazy fat quarters, so then I will add either tone on tone blenders in fat quarters ( again, think scrappy cream blender fabrics ) or yardage. example, why do a quilt with only 2 colors, say black and white fabric when you can do the same quilt with 20 or 30 different black and white fabrics for a lot more eye candy!! the yardage will be the same for the finished quilt but you will have so much more fun doing the scrappy look.....imo!

ckcowl 01-15-2012 04:12 AM

it really depends on the fabric- when i look at fabrics i usually 'see it' as either a great backing- or great for a blender- or a great focal print---so- depending on where it falls in my 'mind's eye' determines how much of it i will buy-
i seldom (bother) with fq's unless it's something i absolutely have to have a piece of-but really do not think i will have much use for- or that's all they have-
i was told once to always buy as much as you can afford :)
if it's a great backing fabric i will buy between 6 yards & the whole bolt
if its a blender i will buy 2-3 yards-
if it's a focal fabric i decide if i would want to use it for more than 1 or 2 quilts- usually about 2 yards-
i rarely buy less than 2 yards- unless it's something that i do need for a particular project and know i only need 1 yard- maybe if its just for a binding and i don' t see alot of future need for it-
i like to cut borders lengthwise often so 3 yards generally will give me the length i need for any border-
but if you make small items 1 yard pieces may be plenty for you to build a good stash-
you really need to look at it the way YOU quilt- and choose accordingly- if it is something you might use over and over buy a couple yards- if its a once or twice then moving on---buy 1/2-1 yard...build your stash to fit your quilting needs- not mine :)

deedum 01-15-2012 04:15 AM

What did someone tell me years ago? Buy one yard if you like, 2 yards if you really like it, and 3 or more if you love it!
For me a lot depends on the price, whether I love it and if it is near the end of the bolt then I take it all!

1000projects 01-15-2012 04:21 AM

With a reallyy good price, i buy 5 yds for a backing. Useually i buy 1 yard if i like the fabric.

Just Me... 01-15-2012 04:29 AM

If it is a great border fabric--3 yards. If it is a great background fabric--5 yards. If it is a great backing--9 yards. Everything else--3 yards.

gailinva 01-15-2012 05:03 AM

I agree........and a sale is always a good time for backings!

Originally Posted by Just Me... (Post 4875910)
If it is a great border fabric--3 yards. If it is a great background fabric--5 yards. If it is a great backing--9 yards. Everything else--3 yards.

rainbow quilter 01-15-2012 05:24 AM

I think that it depends on what kind of quilts you make. Do you make lap-size quilts or full size? Do you make scrappy quilts or traditional patterns where you often need 5-6 yards of a focal fabric and varying amounts of other fabrics?

I tend to make full size traditional quilts and have bought anywhere between five yards and the whole bolt of a great focal or backing fabric. A great border fabric, at least four yards. Blenders or versatile small tomid-size prints, usually 2-3 yards. I never buy less than one yard. Unless I'm doing an applique quilt and only need a tiny bit of one fabric, I never buy fat quarters.

joyce888 01-15-2012 05:24 AM

I always try to decide will I use it as focus, background, complimentary, or borders. If its focus, background, or complimentary at least 1 1/2 yd each. If its borders at least 2 1/2 yd. and if its backing at least 4 1/2 yd. Also the more fabrics you have in a quilt the less you'll need of each one. This is all based on lap-size quilts which is what I make the most of.