Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much yardage to buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-yardage-buy-t103418.html)

lnlwhitt 02-26-2011 08:36 PM

First the good news I went into one of our local Walmart stores today and they have brought back the fabric dept. A true fabric on the bolt, by the yard, great variety fabric dept. I am so, so happy.
Now my question. They have a fabric that looks like it has been quilted, all the squares of fabric are sewn together but you buy it by the yard. It's great for a baby and I need a baby gift. So if I cheat and buy this (since I've never quilted, yet) how much fabric do I need for the front and then the back (two separate fabrics) that I can make into a baby quilt.
Thanks.

bakermom 02-26-2011 09:02 PM

A yard and a quarter will give you a 45" square quilt. a yard and a half, 45x54(minus the seam allowances assuming the fabric is 45" wide).

Favorite Fabrics 02-26-2011 09:05 PM

Just remember that you have to buy that amount for the front, and then the same amount for the back.

(Yes, I know, it's a "duh, of course!" statement, but just in case a true novice is reading this post, it is worth mentioning.)

pnptrapp 02-26-2011 09:11 PM

If you do choose to buy those prepieced fabrics, really make sure that the seams are well sewn. I've bought them in the past and had to resew seams becuase they were coming apart. I do believe this was becuase it was an odd place on the bolt, but I still double check just to make sure!

quiltmaker 02-27-2011 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Just remember that you have to buy that amount for the front, and then the same amount for the back.

(Yes, I know, it's a "duh, of course!" statement, but just in case a true novice is reading this post, it is worth mentioning.)

Yes, but is she talking about pre-quilted fabric or just a cheater cloth????? I think she's talking about pre-quilted. :-D

bakermom 02-27-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics

Good point!! I do tend to assume-gets me in trouble at times!

I was pictureing the stuff that looks likeit was already pieced-you see it a lot in with the nursery fabrics. Multi-sized squares of minky, chenille etc sewn tog. I've never used it but it looks like it would work for a quick quilt-gift.

Jim 02-27-2011 09:26 AM

IF its already quilted...you don't need to buy backing its already there....its ALREADY quilted together and all you do is BIND it...I like nice big baby quilts I make them baby bed sized...42 x 54

lnlwhitt 02-27-2011 11:21 AM

This is the "cheater" cloth you referred to that looks likes it's pieced squares of different fabrics and the one style actually has an appliqued dog on it. It's not quilted so I will need the two pieces of fabric, batting and lord only knows for binding. I have never made a quilt and no nothing about doing a binder. LOL

bakermom 02-27-2011 01:14 PM

Sew the pieces right sides together leaving an opening big enough to turn it right side out. slip-stitch the opening closed then tie it off. You don't have to deal with a binding this way.