Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How often do you change your cutting mat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-often-do-you-change-your-cutting-mat-t135586.html)

Homemother 07-06-2011 07:11 AM

I've been turning mine every which way to get the most mileage out of it and wondered how much use yours gets how often you have changed yours. Has it been years? Months? Thanks!

np3 07-06-2011 07:13 AM

I have several in various sizes. The only one I have ever stopped using is a gray one by June Taylor. Must have gotten a lemon on that one. Threw it out after a few uses.

Mostly I clean them often and they keep very well.

the casual quilter 07-06-2011 07:15 AM

Years. I bought my last one three years ago and I use it all the time.

amma 07-06-2011 07:16 AM

I don't think you can put a definite time frame on them, as in months or years.

It depends on how hard you press down on your cutter, how often you change your blades, and how much cutting you actually do. We are all different in this :D:D:D

np3 07-06-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I don't think you can put a definite time frame on them, as in months or years.

It depends on how hard you press down on your cutter, how often you change your blades, and how much cutting you actually do. We are all different in this :D:D:D

And what we are cutting. Using the rotary cutter and mat with batting leaves a lot of yuk to clean up.

mim 07-06-2011 07:17 AM

Change ??? I'm still using one I've had for 10 years -- Of course I've had several that have been cut down as the original split or got too many grooves. I recently bought 2 at Walmart for summer use here at the cottage. They seem to do the job nicely -- they are probably not self healing.
Mim

Originally Posted by Homemother
I've been turning mine every which way to get the most mileage out of it and wondered how much use yours gets how often you have changed yours. Has it been years? Months? Thanks!

featherweight 07-06-2011 07:19 AM

I have never changed mine. I wipe it off often and keep it flat on my cutting table and I don't plan on replacing until it doesn't serve its purpose any more.

lynsews 07-06-2011 07:31 AM

Another quilter told me that they can be restored by soaking them in the bathtub when they start to show wear. The water renews them and extends the life. I haven't tried this yet because my current mats are fairly new, but when the time comes I will certainly try it.

katier825 07-06-2011 08:00 AM

I've had my Olfa mat for years. I also have one of the gray June Tailor mats someone mentioned above and it didn't last long at all. I still have it and use it when I'm trimming batting. I prefer the Olfa ones when cutting fabric and think they are well worth any extra cost compared to the June Tailor mat.

Barb44 07-06-2011 08:13 AM

I've had a June Tailor mat for about 20 years and it is still in great shape. Of course it has probably not had the hard use over that time period. I have no reason to change.