Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how often to have your machine serviced (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-often-have-your-machine-serviced-t110234.html)

QBeth 03-24-2011 08:52 AM

Usually once a year, even if it hasn't been used all that much. I worry about high humidity affecting moving parts.

cabinfever 03-24-2011 09:11 AM

I bought a new Viking sewing machine, & it has required more maintenance than any of the vintage Singers I own. The older Singers I own are 15-91, 221, 301, 401, 403, Touch n sew, Futura, Touchtronic 2000, & Touchtronic 2005. Other than the last 2 on my list, I service them myself. I watched the video "Those Fantastic Featherweights:The Complete How-to Video for Maintaining Your Featherweight 221 and 222" & the "Featherweight and I- illustrated repair and maintenance book"
By David R. McCallum. The video is 3.5 hours total. Once I saw this whole video, & understood all I needed to know about all of my old Singers. Everyone who has an older machine would benefit from it; much of it is general mechanical machine knowledge that a repair person would know. I treat my machines well now, but the first 20 years when I was young, I NEVER took them for service. I didn't know I needed to unless something was broken;) Back then, I also never changed a needle that wasn't broken LOL!

cjr 03-24-2011 09:44 AM

I have my dh clean & oil after every queensize quilt. In between I clean (brush out) bobbin area every time I change bobbin. I oil once or twice a week on visible easy to reach areas. My singers are 36 & 52 yrs young. DH unscrews all screws and gets inside to keep them clean & lubedricated. I live in the desert. My sewing machine doctor said machines dry up faster here then in more humid climates.

QuiltnNan 03-24-2011 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1943
but they have messed it up so bad the last two times

this is my fear. my machines tend to stay working well, so i don't take mine in that often. in 40 years, i've had two inexpensive dsm's. they have never been serviced. i did have to take my emb machine in for a new computer board, though.

lalaland 03-24-2011 03:10 PM

I service my mechanical machines myself. Since about the only thing you can do with the computerized machines is keep the bobbin area clean, I do that faithfully after every project. I only take my machine in if I have a problem that I cannot solve. After 20 years I took my computerized Kenmore Elite in and the problem was I had worn out the plastic presser foot! I would have NEVER figured that one out on my own!!

quilter68 03-24-2011 03:16 PM

A Kenmore bought in 1961 has not been serviced yet, A Janome that I jumped out of time was re-timed and my 5yr. old Bernina just last month dropped its hooker or something like that. They all work fine.

A Singer bought in the '80's...eh?

Tallulah, the Featherweight, seems to be fine. I just got her last year.

rexie 03-24-2011 03:57 PM

Serviced? I don't know about serviced?

bigdogmom 03-24-2011 04:02 PM

My original viking from 1984 was only to shop twice. I think it is still going strong, my daughter now has it. My Viking Designer One has only been to shop twice since I got it maybe in 2000. I don't know about the newer models, I think they have changed manufacturing location. I keep my machines dusted with the air spray, but that's it. They don't use oil.