Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How old is your oldest quilting scrap? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-old-your-oldest-quilting-scrap-t216961.html)

alikat110 03-21-2013 04:59 PM

20 years.....

alisonquilts 03-21-2013 05:10 PM

When my Mum stopped sewing (about fifteen years ago) she gave me all of her fabric. Most of it isn't cotton - she wasn't a quilter - but many many pieces are bits left over from clothing she made, and that I well remember! So....my personal scraps date from when I was in college (20 odd years ago) but if you include my Mum's stuff, some scraps from 40 years ago, probably.

Alison

adamae 03-21-2013 05:15 PM

I have scraps and a few quilt blocks from the late 1800's due to the fact I sold antique quilts and tops and blocks in my antique business. Of course, I don't use them and they will probably be thrown away when I am gone.

petthefabric 03-21-2013 05:18 PM

I have no idea. I've been sewing for 50+ years and started collecting ~40 yrs ago. I'm sure to have yardage from then. When GM died I did get some yardage, I was the ony heir that sewed. I think it's all been used.

momto5 03-21-2013 05:38 PM

Long ago and far away....I used to make clothes for my then "tiny little girl"....she is now 48, and I still have a few scraps of the cottons I made her dresses out of, as well as some wool I made a little coat for her with. Memories!

Nammie to 7 03-21-2013 05:41 PM

My oldest is from the early 70's.

Shelbie 03-21-2013 06:26 PM

I started buying fabric when I was nine with my allowance and later with my babysitting money. The oldest scraps I have were purchased in 1967 for my Centennial dress (Canada celebrated its one hundredth birthday that year) and I was in grade eight. Still have my dress and my grade eight class picture with us all dressed up in our costumes too.

Teddybear Lady 03-21-2013 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]403385[/ATTACH]I hope this picture comes through.
I don't know how old this is. It's on the back of some quilt pieces. I got them from my husband's parents stuff after they passed away. It's a page from a catalog. Maybe from the 50's?

NanaCsews2 03-21-2013 08:25 PM

I just gave yards of my 1979-1982 fabrics to my church. Don't know why I held on to them so long insead of using them. Maybe because it provided room to get some of the new fabrics I thought I couldn't live without.

mom-6 03-22-2013 01:12 AM

I really don't know how old some of my fabrics are. I was given a couple big boxes of vintage fabrics that had belonged to a friend's mother plus I bought a bunch of fabric that was from another friend's grandmother who bought out fabric shops going out of business. I know for sure that some of it is from the 70s but there is also some that looks like it could be from as early as the 30s-40s. I've used some of it but am saving the oldest looking for the Double Wedding Ring quilt that I've been collecting fabrics for several years now.